iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burls

Started by logger92, March 04, 2010, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger92

Who Buys burls, I have one of the biggest nicest yellow birch burls i have ever seen. I also have many more smaller ones, I just cut a very nice hard maple one today, weighing around 350 pounds. The yellow birch burl weighs around 2000 pounds i think. I put it in the back of my F-350 and it was all it wanted

nas

I sell some to a specialty lumber store http://www.exotic-woods.com/welcome.html.  I have also sold to turners.  Sometimes there are local wood turning clubs where you can sell them.  Where are you located?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

bill m

Where are you located? There is someone just over the line in NY that I have sold burls to.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logger92

I am in NY near the Adirondack park.

SwampDonkey

Here's a yellow birch burl as well.

There are a couple turners in my area that buy burls, but I'm a ways off the map. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pasbuild

I have found that most Yellow Birch burls are the "onion" type of burl, that is they grow in layers like an onion and do not provide any figured wood, best thing to do with them is to let them spalt a bit and at least you'll have some color.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

Mom has a coffee table made of one about 3 feet across. Has a glass top and a metal stand. Most do use spalted burl and her table is spalted, but I don't see anything like an onion. I think I know what you mean about the figure, and your right. There are a couple bark inclusions I think, in this table. You see a lot more of them than I do on the inside.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Ditto on the onion peel burl. It is nice, but not dormant bud burl like other hard woods. The ADK musuem has one in the entry way by the "tranportation building" that looks that size. Before the furniture market cooled, a buyer would be fairly easy (price dependant) but know it is a bit tougher. Turners and folks like that would not get the small scale dormant bud grain they like. It is best kept in larger sizes to appricate the curls (fairly "long wave", like cherry gets curly).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!