iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS250 oiler

Started by tyb525, June 05, 2010, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Just picked up a barely-used 18" MS250 at a yard sale the other day. I've been using it mainly to cut up slabs. I never realized how heavy my 036 was till I used the 250 for awhile..

Anyways, It doesn't seem like the chain is getting much oil at all. Is there an oiler adjustment on it somewhere? I know on the 036 it's on the bottom. I cranked it all the way up when I starting using mine and it gets enough oil now. But I can't seem to find any adjustment on the MS250. Is there none, seeing how this is more of a homeowner's saw?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

All I could find out by looking at the service manual on micro film is the fact the oil filter could be plugged . I only assume it would have an adjustment but didn't find any mention of it . If I get a chance I'll see what I can find on my CD manuals .

As for the saw I can't remember ever seeing that model  myself .

I personally consider an 036 to be light weight but I suppose everybody has their own opinion of that . It's all relative I imagine . ;)

tyb525

The 036 being the biggest saw I've used ;) I guess I was saying the 025 is light in comparison, I never considered the 036 heavy before.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Radar67

What brand oil are you using in it? It was mentioned on another thread that the Stihl oil was thin compared to Poulan oil.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tyb525

I use the Motion Lotion stuff from Bailey's. It works fine in my other saws.

park ranger

I have a 025 that had the oiler problem.  The thickness of the disk on the oiler rubs against the case and was worn so the wire that sticks out and fits into the notch in the clutch would slip out and not oil.  There are two types of oiler, the one with the disk and the worm gear and the one that doesn't have the disk.  The stihl shop had no info on the one with the disk so I had to get one off e-bay.  If you need the one with the disk let me know, my saw is shot and just sits.  The 025 was a great saw. 

Al_Smith

I went through every piece of literature I had on this model and really couldn't decipher much from it .

Actually most "clam shell " Stihls I see are in boxes disassembled .Fact is I have 2 in my shed .They don't seem to hold up too well in use for tree trimmers who are mainly the people I do the most work for .

ladylake

Quote from: tyb525 on June 06, 2010, 12:55:02 AM
The 036 being the biggest saw I've used ;) I guess I was saying the 025 is light in comparison, I never considered the 036 heavy before.

Your 18, wait untill you get to be almost 60, then you'll know what heavy is. I used to use 70cc saws, now it's 50cc or smaller most of the time.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

:D I'm 62 years old and have no problem handling a 120 cc saw with a long bar on it . Of course I kind of cut my teeth on reed valve McCullochs  before most on this forum were ever born or even a twinkle in the old mans' eye .

On the other hand just recently I did some work on a J-red 525 ,little 3 cuber . Sat too long with old gas in it .I was tempted to attempt to buy it from the owner because that little screamer is a good cantidate to run in the 3 cube hotsaw class .

3 cubers have their place .Good firewood cutters, nice limbing size .I suppose the clam shells are okay if they don't get the snot ran out of them .Some like the Poulans seem to hold up well and some makes don't seem to get much longgevity .Of course that could be do to the amount of PM done on them .Some people could destroy an anvil with  a feather ya know .

joe_indi

The MS250 has the same oiler as the MS210 or MS230.
It is not adjustable.
It is driven by a worm, driven by a kind of rod, which is driven by a small slot on the clutch drum.
The oiler itself is very small about 1 1/2" long with a diameter less than that of a pencil.
Check if the bit of metal rod on the worm is actually engaging on the clutch drum.
Run the saw without the guide bar, using more viscous and less viscous oils.See if there is any improvement in the flow.
As per the specifications oil flow rate is 7.5 cc per minute (0.46 cubic inches per minute).

I looked up theStihl PIG* of 1999-01, which was one of the last PIGs to give bar length recommendations.(* Product Information Guide)
This saw was the the 025 in those days. The recommended bar size was 12" though 14" is also mentioned.
I am not implying that bigger bar lengths are not possible, only that this saw was designed for a 12 or 14" bar and so the oil pump has some limitations when you use longer bars.
How you get the oiler to deliver more oil is either by playing with the viscosity of the oil or, if the saw has a 7 teeth sprocket by using a sprocket with 6 teeth .Without any change in the rotation of the oiler, the latter will allow the limited oil supply to enter  into the chain  which now moves  at a slightly slower speed, this will put a bit more oil onto the chain.

Joe

John Mc

Quote from: joe_indi on June 07, 2010, 04:15:14 AM
I looked up theStihl PIG* of 1999-01, which was one of the last PIGs to give bar length recommendations.(* Product Information Guide)
This saw was the the 025 in those days. The recommended bar size was 12" though 14" is also mentioned.
I am not implying that bigger bar lengths are not possible, only that this saw was designed for a 12 or 14" bar and so the oil pump has some limitations when you use longer bars.

Stihl's web site shows 16" or 18" recommended bar length range for the MS 250. (http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS250.html).  My bet is that 18" is optimistic for this saw...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tyb525

It does actually cut well with the 18".

John Mc

Quote from: tyb525 on June 07, 2010, 12:06:05 PM
It does actually cut well with the 18".

Are you just using the extra length for more reach (limbing or cutting smaller logs), or actually cutting 16"+ diameter wood?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tyb525

John, I didn't pick it for the 18" bar, that's just how it came. And no, I haven't cut much over 16". Although I have buried the bar in some 20" stuff and it didn't do too bad.

Thank You Sponsors!