iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Never again....

Started by thedeeredude, June 23, 2005, 03:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

buying a stinkin chevy.  It's failed me way too many times.  I was supposed to take it on vacation tommorow but inspection runs out this month, but it can't pass without the blower/defroster/ac working.  I had enough.  In fact, I might never buy a DanG horseless carriage again.  They peeve me off.

Tom

What country do you live in that requires that you have an A/C in your car?

thedeeredude

USA(I think??, I should really go check though) ;D,  it won't pass inspection if defroster don't work and that and ac are all in the same unit.

SwampDonkey

Well that's a new one. In NB, they're not suppose to pass if anywhere there is rust clean through. Funny how I see alot of those $300, 15 year old rust buckets on the road. I know some not even insured. Insurance is more than the truck is worth. I sure don't condone it, but those people can't afford nothin expensive on substandard wages. ::)  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I would bet we need a defroster more then PA. If we dont have one nobody tells us to get one. They may say "are you out of your mind?" but nothin says we have to have a defroster other then it is a ticketable offence to drive with a frosted or otherwise obstructed window.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

old3dogg

Sounds to me like you should keep the chevy and find some place else to get it inspected!!!
THEY ARE TRYING TO HOSE YOU BIG TIME!
Im from PA and have never heard of such a thing. I drive one of those "$400 rust buckets" and never had a problem with inspection.

SwampDonkey

Get out the $5 window scraper in the morn'n. ;D ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I'd tell them that I don't have one on this car/truck.  I open the windows and carry a towel.

When they ask you to turn on the defroster, why don't you rub the windshield with a paper towel?  If they want you to have a fan, go buy one of those little battery operated fans from Wally world or the auto shop and set it on the dash board.

That's ridiculous, having to have a defroster when really what they are interested in is that you can see out of the window.

I can understand new tennis shoes not sufficing as a remedy for worn out brakes on the car, but, what idiots the bureaucracy shows itself to be with these superfluous rules.  

grumble grumble

Buzz-sawyer

Well Tom
In Illinois, We are required under penalty of LAW to have working windshield wipers..........But we are not required to have a windshield.........
I proved this driving my 68 Bronco down the road with it folded down, no doors on, no top. Cop pulled me over looked me over.........and let me go!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/inspections/safety_motorist_faq.shtml#Q01

Glad I aint there. Half the cars I have had in my life wouldnt make it for one thing or another.

Jeff

Quote:
Safety inspections for passenger cars and light-duty trucks require that the following items be checked

It doesnt say any of them have to actually be working. :D

old3dogg

Machanics are like doctors. They just keep guessing until they get it right. In the mean time they "hose" you into paying because they make you believe that what they are doing is the right thing.

Ron Wenrich

They just hook them up to a computer to see if everything is working.  They pull 2 wheels to check the brakes, check all the lights, and a few other things.  I've never had them check the AC or defroster, or the windshiield washer.  Most inspections take about 15-20 minutes.  But, I drive a rather new truck.

You can find those peel & stick inspection stations.  But, the state is cracking down on them.  

It used to be that we had inspections twice a year.  Now its once a year, but now they are doing emission testing.  It will be coming to your state in the near future.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Florida goes through these spells of "protecting the citizens from themselves" now and again.  We have finally, for the second time, gotten rid of the Auto Inspection Stations and Inspection tax.   What a boon-doggle.  That bureaucracy costs more than the inspection charges would even come close to paying.

Here in Jacksonville, we finally got rid of road tolls.  Again, a bureaucracy that didn't pay for itself.  They only would make money if the road is payed for and the tax is continued.  Funny though, there are road funds that collect taxes to care for the toll roads anyway.  If these taxes, as an analogy, were a separate line on a new car window sticker, it would have to be labeled, honestly, as "more profit".

There is a political faction in this country that feels that the population is too stupid to make decisions or think for themselves and need to have their every move mandated.  Because they can't be trusted to handle money, their funds should be taxed and doled out to everyone so that one won't have more than the other.   When this faction is elected to positions of authority, taxes like auto inspections begin to show up.

Who's business is it anyway if somebody has a rusty fender.   The owner hasn't done anything wrong until he hurts someone else.

grumble grumble

old3dogg

I like the "lick em and stick em" places. They want the quick 20 bucks and are to lazy to do any real work.
I always inspect my own truck before taking it to the garage. I always like to know that I am not getting screwed into something I dont need. plus. Doing my own repairs is a lot cheaper.
My friend took her car to get it inspected and was told that it was gonna cost $1000! I looked the car over for her and couldnt find anything wrong. There was a hole about the size of a dime in one of the rocker panels. This was the 1000 dollar repair!
I got her a 20 dollar sticker ;D

DanG

We in Florida can thank recently retired Sen. Bob Graham for eliminating the State inspection on our vehicles.  When he was our Governor, he took his motor home to the inspection station on S. Monroe St. in Tallahassee.  It flunked.  He had the mandated repairs done, and it flunked again.  He went through all the things a normal citizen would have to do, then, by Executive Order, he abolished the Florida Vehicle Inspection.  We haven't had to put up with that annual fleecing since! ;D 8) ;D 8) :) :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thedeeredude

Safety inspections for medium and heavy duty trucks and buses require that the following items be checked: suspension components, steering, braking systems, tires and wheels, lighting and electrical systems, glazing (glass), mirrors, windshield washer, defroster, wipers, fuel systems, the speedometer, the odometer, the exhaust systems, horns and warning devices, the body, and chassis. For a complete list of the rejection criteria for medium and heavy duty trucks and buses, please visit the PA Code Web site.

Jeff

We did, I posted the link to the info several posts up.  Some of that is just retarded.

CHARLIE

Vehicle inspections are just a way for the State to make more money.  Minnesota tried it back in the early 1970s but stopped it pretty fast. 

Tom, defrosters are a bit more important up here than in Florida.  On a real cold day in the winter, if your windshield frosts up, the moisture will freeze on the window. To drive without a defroster, you have to steer with the left hand and with the right hand, scrape a seeing spot in the ice with a credit card. :D I know 'cause I've done it. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Kinda like sticking your head out of the window when the windshield wipers quit working, eh?
....or opeing the car door a little so you can follow the yellow line when the fog is real thick. :D :D

Yep!  I guess those city boys don't know all of those good tricks  Somebody has to look out for'em.  :D :D

Hey that's a joke son, don't ya get it. I made a
funny son and your not laughin'.

Foghorn.  :D

crtreedude

We have something called the Reteve here - ran by foreigners (Spainards) I sure caused a big ruckuss last year! The trucks actually shutdown the country!  :o

Eventually they cut back the requirements to be reasonable - like do the brakes work, etc. I want the brakes to be working on the sugarcane truck coming down the hill at me! 

The worst problem I see here is overloading the trucks. It breaks them, but they keep doing it.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ernie

We have to get a "warrant of Fittness" every six months.  Good ol Dave at the local garage is great for them, I sit in the passenger saet for the road brake test holding the brake test thingy, he slams on the brakes and says, Ernie what did that read, I asked what's a good reading, Dave   Oh about sixty five, Me , I passed

Dave, great, I'll write it up. 

I love living way out in the country with real people. :) :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Roxie

I had a GMC that didn't have heat or AC, and I bought one of those heater/blowers that plugs into a cigarette lighter.  Of course, my inspection was due in September, and the mechanic never noticed that the blower didn't work.  Your mechanic got in to test drive your car, and was ticked off because the air conditioner wasn't working on a hot day.   :)  I guess he was hot.
I would ask if buying a portable heater/blower unit would pass.  They are under $20. 
As unfair as the vehicle inspection is for cars in this state, it's worse for tractor trailers and heavy trucks.  The DOT is always doing spot inspections along the roads in this area, and the laws are so strict that it's almost impossible not to be fined if your truck is singled out.  The company I work for had one of our trucks get caught in that mess.  We are fanatical about load weight and keeping the trucks safely operating, but we got a $100 fine for not having a spare tire on the truck.  Yep.  Can you believe it?   ::)
Say when

Haytrader

We avoid certain roads and drive extra miles to miss those "bad boys"
Yhey are sneaky critters and you have to on your toes and listen to the CB.
;)
I sold a set of hay rakes to a guy in the next town just two weeks ago. The 48' flat trailer they were on I had just sold and was to deliver it about 80 miles away. We got the rakes off and were ready to leave when the DOT guy pulled up right across the road. We just sat under a shade tree untill he pulled a couple trucks over and as he was inspecting them, we jumped in the truck and away we went.

8)  8)
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!