iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Food for the 4th

Started by Gilman, June 27, 2005, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

I ran across this picture on the FF's front page.  It's of me and my two nephews 1 or 2 years ago deep frying a turkey.  I didn't want to sprain any of my eating digits lifting the 20# bird out.

One of the appetizers for the 4th this year will be slow cooked candied sausage links.
Take the links and cut them into 3rd's and place in crock pot
Cover with:
Brown Sugar
Sliced Granny Smith Apples
Sliced Sweet Onions

Cook for about 4 hours.  Mmmmm

Any other foods out there besides grits?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Weekend_Sawyer

I hadn't thought too much on it, but I believe I'll throw a couple of racks of ribs on the smoker's top rack and put one o them beer can chicken's in the lower rack. That way the rib drippins drip on the chicken, then the chicken drippins drip in the water pan, water pan gets hot and steam's back up to the meat and so on and so forth and so  frothing at the mouth until consumed like the bunch of neandertals that my brothers usually are at the dinner table!

ah now I'm thinkin about it and man I'm gettin hungry, and a litle frothy ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

We're having a little family reunion at my folks' place on the 3rd.  I got volunteered to provide a bunch of meat for sammiches.  Bought a couple of plump Boston Butt pork roasts today, and will be keeping an eye peeled for some big Chuck roasts or briskets.  Gonna put it all on the smokin' barrel and try ta make it fall off the bone. ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

This is going to be a good weekend, especially in the towns along the 49th. Canada Day is Friday and the 4th is Monday so there could be serious festivities 8). Stewart B.C and Hyder Alaska are two isolated communities about a mile apart. Apparently this a big weekend for them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Normally when we have a party (and I am thinking of having a July 4th one this year) we definitely do in a pig - down here a fiesta without chicharrones just isn't a party (pork crackling).

That, a few mandarian limes (to cut the fat) tortillas, yucca, repollo (oops, cabbage) you have a pretty good party.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Gilman

DanG,
I think we might need some photos of that.

moosehunter

We usually buy a bag of little neck clams (400 ct) and sit down & eat 'em all. 4 of us. Don't need to eat again for 48 hours!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

crtreedude

A picture of a fiesta on the finca. I am the guy in the foreground with the white hair, doing what I do very well.

Gilman

CdTree,
Are those leany things posts?  How does that thing stand up?  Or is it an optical illusion? ;D

crtreedude

Well, that structure isn't there any more - neither is the house I am leaning against.  Nope, it was barely standing, probably the posts were straight up and down at one time or another.

MULE_MAN

Were just going to have a Big Fish Fry,  Fillet Crappie & Cat Fish
potatoes salad, Baked Bean's  & Cole slaw & Lemonade for the
grand kids . As for as my kids , there old enough to buy & bring
there own adult beverage   :D   :D  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Jeff

Quote from: MULE_MAN on June 28, 2005, 03:39:48 PM
Were just going to have a Big Fish Fry,  Fillet Crappie & Cat Fish
potatoes salad, Baked Bean's  & Cole slaw & Lemonade for the
grand kids . As for as my kids , there old enough to buy & bring
there own adult beverage   :D   :D  :D

I wish I was close enough to come to your place for the 4th!  Sounds like my favoite. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MULE_MAN

We need somebody to donate a Plane to the Forestry Forum  8)  8)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GareyD

QuoteAnd a Lake...

I got the lake part under control...won't just outright donate it, but any member that wants too can use it...30 acres of bass, bream, catfish and crappie...ya gotta put the bass back though ;)

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

tnlogger

:D and some of dem belted beef steaks to put on the grill too  ;D
gene

Furby

I'll be there Mule man (in my dreams), what time ???

MULE_MAN

Probably start cooking fish at 5:00, Hopefully it will start cooling
off by then, We have had some pretty Hot day around here  ::)

But I'll be in the Shop Frying the Fish with a Fan , Lawn chair,
and a Cooler next to me  ;D

The first half gallon of Fillet will never make it to the house  :D  :D  ;D

DanG

"The first half gallon of Fillet will never make it to the house."

:D  MULE_MAN, a good cook has gotta do a bit of tastin', just to be sure he is presenting his guests with a quality fare, right? ;D

Gilman, I can get a pic of my smokin' barrel, but its a pretty humble looking rig.  Sure does work good, though. :)

I can tell y'all, first hand, that a party at GareyD's place would be a major hoot! ;D 8) ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MULE_MAN

That's right DanG you have to that tast'n to make sure it's right. Only thing
is , I get to tast'n & can't stop !!!    ::)  :D  :D  :D

Weekend_Sawyer

my webber 55 gallon smoker has been going for 5 hours now. I put the chicken in first, then the ribs about an hour later, I had been wanting to trim some limbs off my old apple tree so I am using them for the smoke.

I just cut a small taste off the ribs, MAN that's goooood!

Squash out of the garden
Black eyed peas out of the freezer from last year.

YE Ha!! 8) 8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

As promised, here's a couple of shots of my pitiful old "smokin' barrel" in action.  Loaded it up with 2 8+lb boston butts and a 7lb sirloin tip beef roast.

Note the "state of the art" air control system. :D :D

Wonder why they call'em "Boston Butts"? ???

I smoked'em like this for about 3 hours, then wrapped them in foil for another 3 hours.  Didn't even have to hold'em down to pull the bone out. ;D

ps: I didn't get any complaints. ;)

Texas Ranger

After action report.  Shiner Bock, potato salad, beans, Shiner Bock, brisket, sausage, Shiner Bock, more brisket, beans and salad, wine, chocolate stuff for desert, and more Shiner Bock.  DanG, got to go on a diet.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!