iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hope you dont mind

Started by Kevin_H., October 15, 2001, 09:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Wow what a fantastic board...Hope you all dont mind if I hang out and read a few  and do some typing of my own... thanks Kevin H.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

Kevin, you are more then welcome here and thanks! Just watch out for the two guys in the chopping wood thread, we've got them under surveillance,,,
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Welcome Kevin.

come on in the water's fine.

RavioliKid

Welcome, Kevin!

What is your relationship to forestry?

RavioliKid

Kevin_H.

I own a portable mill and have been sawing for about 4 years. did it full time for a while, but then had to go back to my real job. I hope someday to do it full time again...Maybe I will pick up enough pointers here to help. 8)
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

CHARLIE

Welcome Kevin_H!  You're gonna like this Forum. There's a great bunch of guys on it.  They even tolerate me pretty well...  :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodmills1

welcome kevin what kind of mill do you have :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin_H.

I have a woodmizer LT40 g24, Sure would like to move up to a bigger saw in the spring...something with a little more HP. I do plan on sticking with woodmizer...I am just getting ready to leave for the indy seminar, about a 4 hr drive for me...KH

Bibbyman

As Tim the Toolman says: "What you need is MORE POWER!". :o

We would like to move up too.  We've just placed an ad in the area Ad Finder placing our two Wood-Mizer mills up for sale.  One is a 96 model LT40HDG35 Super Hydraulic with 35hp Wisconsin V4 gas engine.  The other is an 94 model LT40G18 (now with 20hp Onan engine).

We want to order a new LT40HDE25 3ph electric and go stationary.  And we are wanting to do it while the interest is low and the prices have not moved up.

We are about 5 hours west of Indy.  What direction are you from Indy?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gordon

Hay Bibby, a totally underused part of the forum is the classified ads. Might want to list them here and whats even better IT'S FREE.
 http://www.timberbuyer.net/cgi-bin/classads/classads.cgi

That way I wouldn't have to be so rude to ask outright how much your asking for each mill. :)

Gordon

Bibbyman

Hay Gord,  Thanks for the tip but I looked at it once when it was first announced and there was nothing there.  I just looked again and nothing but goose eggs.   Just didn't look productive.  ???

Besides,  I always come directly to the Forum and I don't see a link back to the classified ads from this site so I'm not likely to to look at them.  ::)
Sawing since '94

Jeff

They are not very productine cause nobody uses em.

If people want them, I can redo and put a link in the new sidebar. Any use for them?  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

It`s a good idea to keep it and have all the adds in one place rather than have them in separate messages where they will get lost over time.
The only other realistic option I can see is to sell that portion of the board and send the money to needy chainsaw millers in Canada.

Bill Johnson

Welcome to Kevin H. nice to have you here
Bill

Kevin_H.

Bibbyman, I am about 3hrs west and and 1 hr south in Sparta, Il. I just got back I could only do one day...got to meet dan, the new ceo...Not even going to try to spell his last name.
at the seminar they were sawing popular with a super running .55 blades with a 13* hook, man was it eating it up...got to get a bigger mill. KH

Bibbyman

Kevin_H,  

Way back in 94 when we went up to get our first mill,  Don  Laskowski, Dan's dad, came through the training area and said hi to everyone.  He came up and thanked me for buying a mill and shook my hand.  From all I've heard about him,  he's really a great guy.  Dan will have some pretty big footprints to follow.

Did you get the name of the guy doing the sawing?  Was it by chance John Hicks?  I ain't seen anyone that can put sawdust on the ground like he can.

We are smack dab in the middle of Missouri – about two hours west of St. Louis.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

bibbyman,
I must be getting old 'cause I dont remember his name, but they did call him there lead sawyer. I truly think the best part of the day was when dan and some of the engineers came in and we got to suggest ideas. couple of goods ones floating around, we'll see if they come to pass. Dan talked like alot of the new ideas that went into the 300 will work their way into the portables,
Takes me about an hour driving northwest to get to St. Louis...
Dan also talked about having a few more resharps and parts outlets in the future...Wonder what kind of break you'd get on parts if you were a dealer....Things that make you go Hmmmm!   KH

woodmills1

kevin, nice to hear from fellow woodmizer owners.  I also have a LT40 with an onan 24.  Yes, i dream of the new ones, but i will stick with my 1993.  the hydraulics let me work alone and she does a great job with the oak i get from my forest, and the 16 foot hemlock i am currently cutting for staging planks and framing lumber.  at the rate i am piling up 2 bys i see a new barn in the spring.  :)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin_H.

James,
I am truly happy with my 24hp, just something about hearing that big diesel engine purr. Got to have more power...Are you building a saw shed with your framing lumber? My plan is to  have a kiln by spring and I think I'm going to board an batten the outside. Alot of guys are sawing up cedar power poles for this purpose if you can get your hands on them.  

woodmills1

just moved into the new place :D now on 85 acres with an older rambling huge house ;) however the old place also had the 35 by 60 clear span barn i built  :-[ so my plans are big for next spring.  wood storage sheds and machinery/woodworking barn,  so the mizer will be outside a little longer. :-/ i am thinking of a few pole sheds 8 feet wide and 16 feet long that i can sticker lumber into as i cut it.  trying to cut out the double handling.  by the way i also have two small koetter kilns that need slabs to rest on.  i think it is time to retire from teaching it is really getting in the way of my woodcutting/building :) :)

Kevin_H.

James,
That sounds great I dont have a building to saw in yet, so I think this winter i will put my saw under a portable carport it will at least keep the rain and snow off of me. I also think that the carport idea will work great for sticking and air drying my lumber. fairly inexpensive and can me moved if need be.
I'm sill working on the kiln, hopefully by spring. Maybe we could get a good ol fasion barn raising going to your new building up?

Don P

Woodmills,
I've been researching kilns with the intent of buying one in the near future...have been leaning towards a Nyle DH unit but have heard good things about the Koetter's. Care to give me an inside scoop?

woodmills1

i have yet to run the koetters.  i bought them at a two for one sale price.  back a few years ago i had a partner, he was going to dry my lumber and then plane it to sell.  he did extensive research and deceided on koetter.  he promptly got divorced and left the area.  but when these two kilns one 550 and one 800 bd ft came up for sale at $4000, half their used value.  i bought them.

Buzz-sawyer

Quote from: Kevin_H. on October 18, 2001, 08:55:34 AM
I have a woodmizer LT40 g24, Sure would like to move up to a bigger saw in the spring...something with a little more HP. I do plan on sticking with woodmizer...I am just getting ready to leave for the indy seminar, about a 4 hr drive for me...KH
Looks like ya finally got that upgrade? :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kevin_H.

Well I guess I did  :D

Seems like everytime we started talking about getting a new mill we bought something else instead, guess I am going to have to run this one a little longer now,

Funny thing is, I still dont have that kiln...

Thank You Sponsors!