iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think my mill has a drinking problem

Started by Mt406, July 11, 2018, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

My day is going good cutting lap siding for my own house.
Customer picks up his order and asks if cash is all right. (if you insist)
Have a quick bite and back to the mill.
Just before lunch cut 20 wide no problem.
After lunch I am just cutting along (maybe just a little Cocky I have cash in my pocket and were cutting good) And at the 7ft mark a little dive were ok life still good.
Now at 13 ft off on walk about.
19 in cut 4degree blade  Pondarosa pine green.
Have a good chuckle.
Hopefully your mill wasn't drinking at lunch :)

Pjames

Looks like time for a blade change 🙈🙈

Mt406

new at start of log and another new now

Pjames

mike_belben

Apparently the blade was drinking at a dive bar.  
Praise The Lord

Brucer

Overheated blade? Not drinking enough fluids ???

I've seen cuts like that in wide spruce.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Mt406

New  blade helped some.
That was one log that didn't want to be lumber.
I use diesel on my blade instead of water.
Had so much pitch build up even with diesel drip every 2 seconds
Saw dust was so sticky it would build up on mill and fall off clumps
And yes the blade got hot and lost tension.  

WDH

Some logs are just like that.  Difficult.  Like some people. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

delvis

I used to used off-road diesel mixed with ATF.  I switched over to water and Dawn dish washing soap and it works so much better, is hundreds of times cheaper,and I'm not dripping fuel all over the ground and my finished product.  Helps greatly to have a powered blade lube system too!
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

KODAK

Nice! Does the blade develop surface rust with the water sitting on the blade on guides?

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi

My experience is that I MUST NOT cut pine with blades less than 10 degrees. 
If I would use 7 degrees I would get big waves like yours. But this is pine here in Slovenia and yours is sure different.
Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

LoneDuck

I understand your pain. I'm trying to get enough of more or less the same pine to finish the house and cring when it happens. I have such a hard time finding logs and any waste is hard.

Mt406

I may try going back to water and cascade I have some of that around the saw shed.
I am thinking with the pitch build up and long wide cuts I am getting heat in the blade.
The next batch of Pondo are long logs 18-20s I going to buck them to shorter length.
I was side tracked today will be back at the saw dust mine tomorrow.
I will post as things progress. 

Brucer

Water will do a better job of cooling the blade. You will probably go through it pretty quickly ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ljohnsaw

I cut down some Pondarosa and it was oozing sap.  So I figured I pour on the water/pinesol.  Blade kept diving.  Stopped the water and it cut fine.  Another log, another blade and same results - water, dive - no water, fine.  Go figure.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I cut all the time dry, If I get some pitch I turn on plain water for one or two cuts and the blade is clean. What happens is most guys cut too slow. That heats up the blade and you have trouble. Sharp blade and cut as fast as the mill will cut and have less trouble. For me mixing all the junk in the lube is a waste of time. Now if you want to cut faster push the set out on the blade. You will have more sawdust and cut lumber at the end of the day.
Good luck. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

Looks like the work of the infamous Turbo7°! (on my wide, they are NO DEAL for big cuts). :-\

As Peter says, going too slow heats the blade, but going too fast slows it down and causes The Dive...delicate dance.
Odd for a 4° though. I think you could cut steel beams with those things!  :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on July 12, 2018, 08:19:10 AM
Some logs are just like that.  Difficult.  Like some people.
well said,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 16, 2018, 06:05:32 AM
I cut all the time dry, If I get some pitch I turn on plain water for one or two cuts and the blade is clean. What happens is most guys cut too slow. That heats up the blade and you have trouble. Sharp blade and cut as fast as the mill will cut and have less trouble. For me mixing all the junk in the lube is a waste of time. Now if you want to cut faster push the set out on the blade. You will have more sawdust and cut lumber at the end of the day.
Good luck.
I just noticed something different while sawing just the other day!
I was sawing W/Pine 1", and noticed a lot of sawdust coming out of the kerf over the body of the band and just behind the band, and increased the speed a little and the sawdust started coming out on the front of the band!
I guess I just need to keep an eye on this in the future!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!