iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic 8a

Started by Gary Davis, March 05, 2018, 11:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Davis

I have a gearmatic 8a I am trying to bring back to life it has some missing and broken parts

Item # 59 part # c703a Brake band broken  (my guess #79 was cut and 71 and 79 are missing)

# 79            a779ax spring saddle  looks like it was cut

#71              a846a  spacer tube missing

#78              a845a  spacer tube missing

# 76              b726a clutch leaver arm

#57               c718a clutch band secondary needs relined

#58               b703a clutch band primary     needs relined

as you can see there is plenty of rust ,the clutch lever arm I think I will be able to get welded (looks

like it has ben broke and welded before)

I would like to find a used brake band I think it has to be cheaper to realign the to buy new I have a 

post in the wanted items 

also what do i need to drive the brake pin out and does it only move in one direction 

in the wanted items  

It sorta worked before but couldn't free spool and the brake wouldn't hold with a heavy load ( I was

trying pull about 1200 ft  36 ft log 28in dia)

Satamax

Gary, 312-16 or 312-17 sticks, rockwool

And dot welding. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Gary Davis

I got the clutch lever arm welded and the clutches are in the shop being relined 

Satamax

Sorry i was too late!  That's usually me!  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Gary Davis

I got my clutches relined cost about 150.00
I got them installed this first pick shows the ridged line that was in it and the slave cylender was reversed  

the next pic is with the flex line
next step is to replace the outer bearing then I should be able pull loads up after I get the brake out I might be able to repair the brake in the band right now it because of broken and missing parts it wont hold very good and wont free spool so it about 1000.for a brake band and another 300 for the spring saddle and spacers   

teakwood

1000 for a brake band???
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

bushmechanic

I was going to say why didn't you repair those band adjusters while you had it apart? I don't think those welded washers are part of the original mix! If it was me I would have looked for a number 9 Gearmatic to rebuild as those 8's weren't much of it. If you were close to me I have a #9 on the back of a S7 Hough that I am scrapping ;)

Gary Davis

its about 1000 for a new brake that's the price from huff equipment and also champion when i get the brake out I am going to see if that brake in the metal can be repaired in the pic its on the lower right corner near the spring ( the broken piece is about 1\8 by 3\8 )

Gary Davis

the clutch pulls really good now next step is to get the washer tabs to keep the clutch in place repaired

and pull the brake off to see if it can be repaired  ( drill and tap )

mad murdock

It is great to see the skidder getting the repairs needed. I am so glad you are with that machine. Don Garrett told me the history on that machine when new, it was sold to a Portland Road Co. I got it from a guy in Vernonia, who inherited it from an old gent who had passed away who supposedly was the second owner. He had it for years, I gathered. It sure looks good seeing it getting fixed up.  Will be great to see it pulling wood again! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Gary Davis

to all concerned I found a gearmatic 8a that was taken off a Garrett 15 some time in the early 80s and stored inside also got some pins and the control handle, when I get done I will have some extra parts 

Gary Davis

finely got my wench changed works like new 

Thank You Sponsors!