iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fairly New Woodland Owner Needing Educ Mat.

Started by Mark_3227ED, June 30, 2001, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_3227ED

I have Purchased 70 Acres of Timber cutover land that has been in my family for 50 years now from my father.  He did a pretty good job with the land a taught me what he knew.  I have for the last 3 years since buying the property wanted to talk with a true forester and draw up some plans on my own to make portions of the land into groves.  I have pines planted in the 30s by the CC Boys standing about 100 feet tall and where they have been properly thined are great trees.  I need to thin alot more though!  We also planted White Pines and Autrian Pines in the eary 70's and then some more red pines in the early 80's.  We have cut out the soft wood for burning in the fire place and let the maple, birch, cherry, oak, beech etc... grow.  I was in the process of putting a small home on a 7 acre (approx) peice in the front when I was involved in an accident and permently disabled.  I however still enjoy the woods and try to spend an hour or two each day improving some protion of it.  I would like to plant some more tre's this coming spring...maybe even experiment with some giant seqoia's.  I currently read where in doing this it would not only help the forest area as I want but would also help me in my quest to assist me in lowering my taxes under the land use programs.  I have experienced a 600% raise in taxes in the last 3 years!!! and being on disability now has hampered my ability to keep up with this and threatens my ability to keep this land that has been in my family for so many years.  Soooo long story her if you could send any information on how I can get going on my mission to get my land in a forestry program AND hopefully that may help me with my taxes??...if not I still want to do this no matter wheather it will or not...but that would be a nice plus :)!!!...My Email Adress and Sanil mail address follows:

M_conely@hotmail.com

Mark Conely
P.O. Box 603
Mayville, MI  48744

Thank you very much

Mark Conely

RavioliKid

Mark,

Welcome!

I am not one of the people who is going to be able to help answer your questions, but I saw your posting and thought I'd say "HI".

Good luck with your mission. I love trees, but I only have a yard in the city. I still love them, though.

RavioliKid

Tom

Ditto Ravs note.  Welcome to Forestry Forum

Ron Scott

Mark,
You will want to get a Landowner Forest Stewardship Plan prepared to meet your land and resource management objectives.

It is also the first requirement to cooperate in any cost share programs with the Michigan DNR under federal funds provided by the Farm Bill.

For your area, contact:

Dave Neumann
Michigan DNR Service Forester
Southern Lower Peninsula
PO Box 30028
Knapp's Center, 3rd Floor
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 241-9051
~Ron

timberbeast

Welcome,  Mark!!  Those brochures do provide a vey large amout of information!!!!
Where the heck is my axe???

Frank_Pender

Welcome, Mark.  My location is Oregon.  A bit of a way from all  of the wonderful pepole who have just posted the majority of you needs.  I am a Sawmill owner/ operator and I too have a small Tree Farm.  I saw that you were intertested in planting some Giant Sequoia's.   I also am a Master Woodlands Manager, certified out of Oregon State University.  I consult with a grat number of people all for free.  Anyway, what I was leading to is this, I have had a good number of people planting that species and having success.  You will surely have to put a protective device around the tree if you have any deer in the area at all.  I have found that they can hangle semi-wet feet, but not toooo much as they will pass on to the happy tree grounds.  Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your tree planting projects. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

allyson

Welcome, Mark. This is a great board with a wealth of information. The people here can give you alot of answers on future questions as well. Hope it all works out for ya.

Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

Best Regards,
Billy

woodmills1

i feel first you need to arm youself with information. :P  many times the program for fruition of ideas already exists.  gather the facts as written by your town, county, and state.  then study your situation in that context.  i forgot about looking at US statuates and how they might relate.  It sounds like looking for info has been done on your land in the past, why not look now.  ;)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

Good luck to you, Mark! Sounds like a very hopeful undertaking! I certainly hope you find the laws, resources, and tasks slanted toward your eventual success. As you go through this it would be excellent if you feel like keeping us posted. The outcome of your effort is very likely to help others as well.

I was also hoping to ask Frank..

QuoteWelcome, Mark.  My location is Oregon.  A bit of a way from all  of the wonderful pepole who have just posted the majority of you needs.  I am a Sawmill owner/ operator and I too have a small Tree Farm.  I saw that you were intertested in planting some Giant Sequoia's.   I also am a Master Woodlands Manager, certified out of Oregon State University.  I consult with a grat number of people all for free.  Anyway, what I was leading to is this, I have had a good number of people planting that species and having success.  You will surely have to put a protective device around the tree if you have any deer in the area at all.  I have found that they can hangle semi-wet feet, but not toooo much as they will pass on to the happy tree grounds.  Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your tree planting projects. 8) 8)

...about the giant Seqoias. I'm in Maine- zone 3-5- and would like any info on these. Do you by any chance have any webrefs? :P      lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!