iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

long term planning. Looking for insight

Started by mike_belben, August 22, 2016, 10:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Im 36, two little kids, debt free,  just quit my job to move the family to our 5acre homestead in middle TN.  Im going to build my cordwood post and beam house and various sheds and shop. Right now im moving my machine shop down and getting set up.

Ill be clearing the road and site with my bobcat and case 450crawler loader, also have truck and trailers to haul logs and there are several mills nearby. 

I have white and red oaks, tulip poplar and maybe a few maples, but need to buy pine for my timbers and cordwood infill which must be cut in short uniform lengths and debarked.  Id be a fool not to build a specialized machine for this, and silly not to make money with it afterward.  I guess im a professional Weld/fab/machinist and hydraulics + heavy diesels are my thing.  im trying to create an environment where i can pass trade and industry on to my babies, since i will not be sending them to college.

there is a lot of drugs and trouble for kids to get into where im at. in ten years when my boy is 13, i want him riding around on a machine or running a processor or in the woods with me dragging logs after school, not learning to cook meth two doors down.  Its not about me making profit, but theres gotta be some money to lure the kids into doing the work, and inadvertly learning a trade and growing a business based circle of acquaintances in order to have opportunity to move up in life. 

That said, im not a logger or forestry guy.  I can build a hot saw or processor and climb and fell and float gears but ive never done any of it for hire.  Where is the stable niche, what is profitable and what is a fools errand?  I have the flexibility to setup shop to do anything, and run it on waste vegetable oil like i do my trucks, but i need some marketing direction. 

There are too many sawmills and not enough lumber buyers, so im looking to place them in a better spot with little or no competition.  is it in firewood processing, or chipping or bark mulch?  Debarking logs for decorative use or screening certain product?  No idea what is money vs what is trash but the most ideal situation is where i haul off or accept disposal of some other forestry trash and refine it into a sellable product.    There are a lot of millionaires sprinkled among all the poor hillbillies, i just need to figure what they want landscapers spreading around their hedges.

Id appreciate all pointers and advice. Thanks in advance fellas.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!