iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Understanding gin pole rigging

Started by Jim_Rogers, April 05, 2008, 09:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Here is the shot that Tim Beal (moonhill) was trying to show us.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

drueke

Hi,
I know this is a rather old thread but there is a ton of good info in it. I'm working on a timber frame barn (30x40) and will soon (about a month or so) will be raising it. Sorry, no photos worthy of this forum yet.  

Anyway, I expect to be using a crane to rise the bents but i want to build a gin pole for the top plates, purlins and floor joists, etc. The peak of the barn is 20' up so I'm thinking a 25' gin pole will work for everything.  I plan to make up a  laminated 6x6 pole from 2x6s with a tee at the base as shown in Jim's posts.  

Here's the question: can I put the base in the front loader of my tractor and bring guy lines to the hooks on the top of the bucket? 

That seems like it would give me the best mobility for the gin pole with 4 bays to be addressed for both sides and I think I could assemble the thing on a couple saw horses, rig it in the front loader, including the guy lines to the chain hooks and then pivot the bucket up to near vertical. 

I'd really appreciate suggestions if this idea isn't too sound.
Thanks,
Ray.

Jim_Rogers

I've done that and it works as long as you keep the pole at an angle about 20° off of plumb, or more.
You need to be aware that it can flip over backwards if you don't keep the angle leaning away from the operator's seat.
Here is a shot of me using mine to lift a pair of rafters off the frame when we dissembled it.

Here is a shot of me setting it up.

Be careful, and good luck.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

everythingwood

Great Post!

I was hoping Jim or someone can help me with a gin-pole question.  I have my large timbers stacked and stickered. Now I need to get them off the stack onto my timber cart so I can move them into the shop for joinery.  Unfortunately I don't have a loader or many large friends so I was thinking of setting up a gin pole over the stack with a chain hoist attached.  The pole for de-stacking doesn't need to be very tall but I might as well make it long enough to use for raising as well (14 foot ash 8x8 posts with a 12 foot 8x10 anchor beam located at 11 feet). 

I have access to straight poles of ash and cedar.  I figure an ash pole 4-inch diameter at the small end would be big enough??  What about cedar?  I figure a 6-inch cedar would weigh half as much but would it have the strength?  Any help would be appreciated... I want to get the pole set up this weekend so I can get to work. 

Thank You Sponsors!