iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Queen post to Tie beam

Started by beetle, July 28, 2004, 01:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beetle

I am currently in the process of cutting joints for my 24' x 36' timber frame Barn. I have a question regarding the mortise for the Queen post where it sits on top of the tie beam. The Queen post is 8"x8", the Tie beam is 8"x10". This Queen post will be directly above the 8"x8" Tie beam center post which has a 5" long tenon.

My question is this:

What lenght should the tenon be on the bottom of the Queen post? Should it be a 2" stub or should it be longer so I can peg it?

And:

Should the mortise in the tie beam be a through mortise or two blind ones? The bottom one 5" deep and the top one the depth of the recommended lenght of the Queen post bottom tenon?

I need advise where these posts and tie beam meet.
Thanks in advance.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Jim_Rogers

The mortise can be a threw mortise if you choose to make it one.
But the two tenons should not touch.

If the tie beam shrinks, which it will, then there should be enough space so that the two tenons still won't touch.
You want the entire building to dry and settle the same amount everywhere. That way nothing will be pushed up, threw the roof.

The bottom of the queens post isn't usually housed into the top of tie beam, as the top of the tie beam is a reference face.
So the first floor post should be housed. If you're housing this first floor post, house it only one half inch. Then you have 9.5 inches of wood above the housing. With a five inch deep mortise you still have four inches of wood to the top of the tie beam.
Make your post top tenon 4 7/8" long so that it doesn't bottom out in the tie beam mortise. (You've just gained 1/8")
Make your stub tenon on the bottom of the queen's post 2 7/8" long and place it into a 3" mortise. (You've just gained another 1/8").
A 2 7/8" stub tenon is plenty long enough to peg. Place the peg hole 1 1/2" off the top edge of the tie beam and there should be just enough relish to hold that tenon in place, in your windy area.
If these are gable end queen's posts you can put a metal strap over the outside and it will be covered by the sheathing.
Good luck, and if you need a detail drawing of this let me know and I'll make one up and post it here for you to see.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beetle

Thanks Jim....I got it, a drawing will not be neccessary.

Jeff
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Gilman

Jim,
I'd appreciate a sketch of this if you get a chance.

Thanks, Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jim_Rogers

Here it is:

I hope you can see the fine print.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!