iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard maple

Started by Firewoodjoe, July 15, 2018, 08:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

Local mill here just sent out latest price sheet: Hard Maple--(Slicer quality)$ 4,000/AAA Veneer; $ 3750/AA Veneer; $ 2500/A Veneer; (Rotary quality) $ 1100; Sawlog Prime $ 900; Sawlog Select $ 800; Sawlog #1 $ 575; Sawlog #2 $ 500; Tie Logs $ 385; Matt Logs $ 400; Pallet $ 275. Red Oak--Slicer AAA $ 1200; Yellow Birch--Slicer AAA $ 3500; White Birch--Slicer AAA $ 3500.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

mike_belben

Man, id be awful scared to be the hired hand grader at a mill paying 4k per thousand on anything.  
Praise The Lord

ehp

we get $7k plus for top grade here but our maple is snow white in colour

nativewolf

Thanks 78&EHP, very helpful.  I'm going to have him truck a small load to my deck and give them the hairy eyeball.  If we have any veneer than...well he's getting the short stick for sure.  IF not veneer than he's prob ok at 800 for straight run.  We'll see.

Hard maple grade is all about snow white wood, right?  Do they pull the curly or birds eye stuff from that?  

Any other grade rules on hard maple I should be aware of before looking at his logs?
Liking Walnut

ehp

big thing is colour, size of the heart and make sure you look for mineral and mineral stain. Big thing here in my area is bird peck and if your log has it its just a sawlog . Different markets call for different grade

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on August 23, 2018, 02:25:23 PM
big thing is colour, size of the heart and make sure you look for mineral and mineral stain. Big thing here in my area is bird peck and if your log has it its just a sawlog . Different markets call for different grade
ok, did not know bird peck was an issue in maple, I assume it's just like Walnut then, Walnut is so easy to see.
Liking Walnut

ehp

Now I would hold on for abit to see what happens with all these tariffs flying around to do with China , this has got everything and everybody pretty scared but Im hoping in a few months things get back in order

Ed_K

X2 what ehp says, the mill I sell to just dropped the price of red oak do to the tariff scare.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!