iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finish

Started by hopm, May 14, 2017, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

Had a request for a live edge slab bench. Making it out of white oak and short of spar varnish my experience with exterior clear finish is limited. What's the recommendation from you folks? I know you turn out some nice pieces and I'm certain you make sure your work last.
Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Jemclimber

Is this going to be out in the weather or inside?  Where are you located, in damp hot Florida or dry Arizona? 
lt15

hopm

outside in the weather
Piedmont of the carolinas
In the past I have used spar, linseed oil, sikkens, and CWF. Just not sure what might work for a really slick durable finish.
thanks for your help!!

Kbeitz

Two part epoxy top finish...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

I use 100% pure tung oil.  Nothing will hold up outside so the oil is easy to re-apply to rejuvenate the finish, unlike varnish which cannot be re-applied without a lot of prep work, stripping, sanding, etc. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jemclimber

I'm on the same page as Danny.  I do thin the 100% pure tung oil for the first coat. I don't know if it penetrates better, but I do think it spreads easier. Polyurethane outside, regular or spar, will eventually crack and peel off. I've not used epoxy outside so I can't comment on the longevity.
lt15

Downstream

I have been making live edge benches for 3 years testing every outdoor finish I can find so far.  started with spar urethane, moved to epithane(spelling?) Most I could get for finish life was two central illinois winters before it started flaking and peeling.  Looked horrible and required complete sand down to bare wood to refinish.  Last few benches I have tried brixwax teak oil and now thompsons timber oil to hopefully replace 2 year total urethane refinish with annual hand sand and re-apply oil which will be much easier for me and customer.  I just finished a couple of benches out of white oak and used timber oil (natural color) bought at HD.  Color and finished turned out great now after I sell we will see how they weather.  I will posted photos later.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Downstream

Here is a photo of my latest bench.  Pretty sure it is white oak and I used Timber Oil in Natural color.  I actually made a matching pair of benches that I hope to sell as a pair.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Jemclimber

Very nice bench!!  I like the butterflies and the design of uprights capturing the seat at the rear. Do you run a stretcher as well? 
lt15

WDH

Beautiful bench.  Wish that it could keep that color, but unfortunately if left in the sun and elements, it will gray.  At least the oil will help protect the wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Downstream

Thanks for the nice comments.  I have not used a stretcher on this style yet but may on future ones.  I have some have been outside in use for over 3 years and still solid as a rock.  I agree on the grey color change with oil and that is my chief concern using that finish only.  I do have a quart of waterlox finish in the shop that I have not tried yet.  may do it on these before putting outside.  I would prefer to keep the color as long as possible but hate the total sand/refinish every other year or so.

muggs

I like to mix tung oil with high gloss varnish cut with paint thinner. Rub it into the wood with some wet or dry sandpaper. Try it, you will like it.   Muggs 8)

OffGrid973

Can we get a pic of the back and underneath.  Have a cherry bench to build this weekend and love the design, great on two pavers in the garden.

Going with marine varnish for boats, see how it holds up to Jersey weather and report back next year.  I was told epithanes(sp?) should help minimize the uv sun damage.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Downstream

I am out of town for a few days playing golf at tippecanoe in indiana so cant post rear view until then.  The legs are cut out of a solid live edge piece of matching wood approx 24 in wide by 36 in tall.  cutout shape matches end view of bench.  I used 5in lag bolts through the seat into legs and then 4in through back support into back.  I cut plugs out of matching scrap wood to cover screw heads.  leg/back support piece is 2in thick and seat/back are 1.75 thick.

I need to try some of those finish mixtures.  I would love to find a wipe on finish that bridges gap between oil and urethane.  Supposedly the waterlox is a phenolic resin vs urethane that can be wiped on.  I may try a coat of that when I get home.  So far the epithane has lasted the longest but has high gloss finish is not what some of my customers wants.  I have a lot to learn on finishes.

Downstream

Here is a photo of the back of the bench showing more of the leg.

WDH

Very fine.  Very fine.

Savannahdan

Bet that beautiful bench is heavy and won't be moved much. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Downstream

These benches are pretty heavy.  It is one of the advantages for using them around fire pits.  You don't have to worry about them being blown into the fire(dont ask about that story) like the cheap plastic backyard chairs.  If you look in the background of the last photo you will see how I move them around workshop/home.  I bought a harbor freight hydraulic lift cart which allows me to easily move them or lift the up to waist height to work on them without bending over.  My wife and daughters get tired of me coming into the house asking for 5 minutes to move something in the shop.

tomsteve

after years of trying different finishes on projects that will sit outside, i bit the bullet and thried something that i read suggested for the longest durability- sherwin williams A100 exterior acrylic exterior house paint untinted. although most wood projects will require maintainence sometime in the future, ive found it to last quite a long time and is quite durable.

scsmith42

Quote from: tomsteve on June 03, 2017, 10:09:40 AM
after years of trying different finishes on projects that will sit outside, i bit the bullet and thried something that i read suggested for the longest durability- sherwin williams A100 exterior acrylic exterior house paint untinted. although most wood projects will require maintainence sometime in the future, ive found it to last quite a long time and is quite durable.

This is an excellent choice, as is General Finishes 450 exterior grade clear finish.

Epifanes has a good reputation, but in the last ten years many millions of dollars have been spent in R&D on water base Finishes. GF 450 is one of the best available today.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Downstream

How are you guys applying GF450 or A100?  Brush or sprayer?  What is the color change on the wood and does it hide grain?

tomsteve

i put A100 on with a brush and thin coats. it doesnt darken the wood like oil based finishes and i can get multiple coats on rather quickly.

tomsteve

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 03, 2017, 01:26:01 PM
Quote from: tomsteve on June 03, 2017, 10:09:40 AM

This is an excellent choice, as is General Finishes 450 exterior grade clear finish.

Epifanes has a good reputation, but in the last ten years many millions of dollars have been spent in R&D on water base Finishes. GF 450 is one of the best available today.

i was sceptical of using a water based finish for exterior use for some reason, even after putting a gallon or 2 on houses and such over the years.
but now im sold and its all i use.
i have the break down and give 450 a try. actually, i gotta break down and try any GF product. i havent read or heard anything but good about them.

Thank You Sponsors!