iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In praise of Cook's blades

Started by petefrom bearswamp, April 20, 2012, 10:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

I am basically a Woodmizer guy, but have used Cook's blades too.
The old Cooks simonds steel blades gave me problems with breakage.
The new ones are a  different steel and profile.
Cooks sent me 5 blades for trial to replace some of my older broken ones.
They cut very well and I have had no premature breakage.
The fellow I contact at Cooks is very helpful and answers all of my questions.
He indicated to me that they are having trouble furnishing the new blades due to huge demand.
Any others out there have a similar experience with these new blades?
Happy sawing!
Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Nomad

The new Cooks DuraTooth SuperSharps are really nice blades!  I like 'em quite a bit.  I agree with you as well that dealing with Cooks on the phone is a pleasure.  I've also dealt with them face to face.  Really pleasant, friendly, helpful people.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Pete, I received 2 blades from them for a trial they were running a while back.

One was a Supersharp and the other was and Excell.

Both worked very well, the Supersharp was short-lived though, because I didn't disengage the blade before I backed up.  :-[

The Excell sawed around 650 board feet of 1" lumber before giving any indications of getting dull.

I probably sawed around 400 bf of 1" lumber before I did the blade in!
The blade was toast once it came off of the wheels.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

For those of you that do your own sharpening, the new cooks require a different cam according to Jim Osmond who has been a pleasure to work with.
Cooks is sending me a cam.
Also the blades appear to be .045 instead of the old .042.
Hey Chuck how come you weren't out making sawdust this AM?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Nomad

As I said,  the DuraTooth blades were awesome.  The Xcel I got, on the other hand, had issues.  Put the blade on the mill and in the first 6" it dove right off the guides!  When I checked the set on it, it was way off.  Cooks sent me another one to try (again free) and it did much better.  I haven't reset the first blade to see how it does yet, but I should.  Hey, I figure it was just a glitch.  Anybody can make a mistake.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

cutterboy

Yes, the people at Cooks are very nice to deal with. The super sharp blades are excelent. I'm trying their sharping service, just sent a box with 8 blades out today. Three of those blades are really old and well used. I want to see what they can do.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Chuck White

Pete, I have the mill set up on a job about 20 miles away right now, so I can't get there, saw and get back here between bus runs!

Next year will be different though.  My retirement date is 12/31/12.

It'll be different.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I've been testing the new Cooks bands and as far as I can tell their the full equal to the better bands on the market with a finer finish.In honesty the finish was probibly due to a little less set.I sharpened about 25 supersharps for a friend there all he uses now,he even gave me the cam for them.Give them a try. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Blaszer

If you dont mind me asking,,, what size are the blades, and what are they getting for them?  I have 145 and 1/2 inch blades that I'm paying $26 a pc. for from a local industrial supply store called Northstate...I'm shopping around though...         Steve

Chuck White

Steve; Contact some of the Forum sponsors and get prices for your length of blades.

Most of them, if not all can accomodate most any length blade!

CooksSaw

Pete,

Thanks for the kind words (it's always humbling to be mentioned) and I'm glad you have had success with the Super Sharp blades.

Take Care,
James Osmond
Cook's Saw Mfg
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

Thank You Sponsors!