iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying time for cherry & locust

Started by gspren, May 11, 2012, 04:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

How long does it take cherry & locust to dry when it is cut green this time of year? It will be cut to 20" lengths and split within a week or two.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

CTYank

This time of year they're going to be REALLY "green". How long to air-dry down to (unspecified) MC? Wouldn't want to guess.
Eventual MC and time taken to get there will depend on:
orientation of stacks, and accessibility to wind (summer south-westerlies,
stacks being off the ground,
top-cover applied during rain.
All this being done optimally, likely would be done to my taste (15% MC) by Oct. Check w/MM.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

gspren

I finished splitting the cherry today and yes it is very wet. It will be stacked under a high metal roof and open on all 4 sides. I don't normally cut any green wood this time of year but a few blew down in the pasture and I need to move them. I have some partially seasoned wood stacked along a fence row that was going to be moved into the shed but since I need to move this green/wet wood anyway it is easyest to put the cherry straight into the woodshed.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Clam77

I had a big red oak that I cut into about 18" lengths and stood on end where the sun could hit it and the wind could blow through it - it lost more than half it's moisture in less than 2 weeks even being rained on a couple times.  That was only one log though...
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

doo_hicky

I have been told by several people in my area that if you split and stack it then cover it with black plastic it will be dry in a month.  You have to do this where the sun will hit it, so in the middle of a field or yard would be best.

Mike

stumper

I can not speek about locust but, I have found that cherry dries quickly.  I am putting some cherry in the shed now and I know it will be seasoned by the First of October when my heating season starts.

WDH

I believe that the locust, if it is black locust, will dry much more slowly than the cherry because of the structure of the wood (tyloses in pores impede drying like in white oak). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

I have cut/split/seasoned/burned a fair amount of black locust over the last few years.  It starts with a relatively low water content compared to oak, but does not dry particularly quickly.  I wish I had taken measurments on the locust I put up last fall.  I will test some this week and post an answer.  I have a black locust I am goinbg to take down in the next month, so I can get a good reading on the water content of green black locust.

My bet is that, since you are starting at a lower water content than most high quality firewood, it may be ready for this year's heating season.  Other factors that have been mentioned like airflow and density of the stacking can influence the amount of drying that occurs in a given amount of time. The amount you need to dry it also depends upon how you are burning it\:  fireplace vs. woodstove vs. OWB vs. gassifier OWB.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Live black locust taken down today.  Split a 14" log in half and measured the H2O content.  38%!

Who says locust has a low water content!  Meter may not be accurate with this high a reading.  Took readings in several locations.  Got down to 27% near the outer rings.

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

I am not sure what kind of meter that you have, but most moisture meters that woodworkers use cannot accurately measure moisture content above the fiber saturation point (the point where all the free water in the cells have evaporated and the only water left is in the cell walls).  The FSP varies by species, but it occurs somewhere above 25% moisture. 

Beenthere had made some insightful comments about fiber saturation in some of his past posts.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!