iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water conditioning on an OWB furnace?

Started by rwenzoski, June 04, 2012, 05:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwenzoski

Hello all, I have a system I been using & now I have found out I should be balancing the PH of the water in the system but not sure of how to do this & looking for sources for the chemicals needed to do this in Southwestern Ontario? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Robbin

doctorb

This video from Cental Boiler may help.  You can find the test kits for pH at any swimming pool supply store.  i do not know about the nitrites test, but I would ask a water treatment company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=712eokRCfP4
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ohiowood

So is anything needed to be done for summer months when the boiler is turned off ?

rwenzoski

Hi DoctorB, I really appreciate the response to my questions & also the question below, do you have any answers for that as I figured the system should be cycled maybe once a month for a 24 hour period also?
Thanks, Robbin

doctorb

I presume that you are referring to Ohiowood's question about the summer months.  I do not have, and have not found, a clear answer on that subject. 

I was verbally told by CB to continue to circulate the boiler all summer, even when the furnace is not being used to create heat.  The owners manual does not state this advice, to my recollection.  Others have said that they just shut it down completely.  Drying agents in the firebox are used, including a 60 watt light bulb, to prevent moisture and rust.

I check my water about once per year. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Shotgun

Happy Birthday, Doc.  What's it like being that age?  Hope that I'm in the good shape you are in when I get to be that age.

Norm 
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

doctorb

Thanks guys.  I hope I'm in as good a shape as you think I am, Norm :D

trapper

Central boiler has a test kit for the water.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

firechief

Happy birthday Doc,

I believe you, like myself, will be starting your 4th year with our CB 2300. I'm wondering when our systems should be completely drained and filled with new water and chemicals ? Also, do you use the lightbulb as previously stated ?  Thanks

Jim

doctorb

I was thinking of asking that question myself.  Maybe I'll call CB.

sparky1

my dealer told me to run the pump about once a month for a half an hour to an hour. The only reason is to keep the pump seals from drying out. I have a CB so im assuming this would be the same for others.. He never really said anything about the water ph over the summer, but I would take an educated guess that if your ph was set at the right levels for running it , it will be fine to let it sit.
Shaun J

upsnake

Hey DocB,

Probably not or I am sure you would have posted, but did you ever get an answer from CB?

I am going into year 3 with my e-1400. Just wondering. :)  8)

Thank You Sponsors!