iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Guy from the Northwest

Started by Shyguy, January 23, 2011, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shyguy

Here is a sawmill operation that hasn't been run in over 30 years.  I think it is an American #1.  I know nothing about circle mills except the Mobile Dimension one I have.  The pictures are hard to make out.  There are trees growing through the mill.  One man had it since newm and I think there is some type of edger and planer also.  The man died who owned it, and his daughter is looking for someone to sell it to or give it to or something.  I can see if it is still available, and what her plans are for it. 

As far as I go, I am just an old retired phone guy from Kodiak, Alaska that moved to Washington after 40 years on an Island.  I bought the Mobile Dimension just to cut boards for sheds and stuff on the farm.  We have a lot of down timber, and that's all I have been cutting.  There isn't much of a market for rough cut lumber right where I am at, too many rules and inspectors.  I have been reading the stuff on the Forum for about a year, and it is really interesting.  I am trying to learn how to put pictures on, because it seems that is what everyone wants.  Lets see if this works.  I watched the tutorial, he made it look easy, Ill find out ::)

redbeard

Welcome shyguy its nice to see another Norwester here A Mobile Dimension is what got me hooked on sawmilling i used to take my logs to my buddies for years until i made my move on a band mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

kderby

Welcome Shyguy.  We need a few more of the western crowd  to talk sawmilling.  I would not know a Eastern white pine or a butternut if I met one.  Give me a Doug fir or ponderosa and I am a milling fool.

I have a bandsaw.  I make sure customers know that the pattern on my lumber will not have the historic "circle sawn" mark.  We have some old barns around here with very distinct circular mill marks.  It sounds like the old mill you are looking at will be a circle saw?  My neighbor has a mobile dimension and likes it.  If the customer needs the circle sawn look I send them over to him.

Good luck with the pictures.

kderby in Oregon!

Magicman

Quote from: Shyguy on January 23, 2011, 11:44:51 PMI am just an old retired phone guy

I noticed that you have been a FF member for a while.  Here is a Welcome to posting from another "old retired phone guy.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Old retired phone guy with a Mobile Dimension?  Hmmmm, where have I heard that before? :D :D  Welcome to the Forum, Shyguy. :)

If you can rescue that old mill from the scrappers, you will have done a good thing.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum shyguy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave_

Quote from: DanG on January 24, 2011, 09:04:12 AM

If you can rescue that old mill from the scrappers, you will have done a good thing.

That's the Lord's work, fer sure!

mad murdock

Welcome to the forum!  How far up in WA are you?  I am about an hour SW of PDX.  I have located an old circle mill within 20 mi. of my place that I would love to liberate, but if your neighbor is not too far away from me, I would be glad to help save that machinery from the scrap pile.  However you are able, I hope it don't go to the scrap heap.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

Welcome Shyguy,if you can rescue that old American and you have the room to set it up by all means do it.Is the old mill complete? especially the headsaw.You already have the MD that will help milling timbers to mount it.Its not an easy or quick job to set up an old circle mill but worth it in the end theirs alot of old posts worth reading.One piece of advice if you get it take many photos,close ups,of how its set up and measurements.Save all the old wood to copy.Theirs alot of help here don't be shy to ask. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Shyguy

Thanks for all the "Welcomes".  As you can see by the fact there are no pictures yet is because I need to watch the tutuorial again.  I'll keep trying...I live on the Olympic Peninsula in a town called Poulsbo.  I don't think I want to take on a project as large as that sawmill I was looking at.  It is complete.  The guy just got old and died, and non one has touched it for 30 years.  There are still 30 year old stacks of lumber That are just melting into the ground.  I am hoping when I get the pictures on, someone will want to take a stab at it. Okay, I am going to try to make an album now so you can see some pictures.  :P :'(

jim blodgett

We're over here in Yelm, about 20 miles SE of Olympia.  I'd like to have a look at that old mill.  If you can't post photos, is there anyway you could attach a few to an e mail?

Thanks - jb

Thank You Sponsors!