iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heat driven - ECO fans..

Started by realzed, September 13, 2018, 12:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

The impression from some that I have heard stories about these units is.. the heat movement is very subtle - but in that sense they work almost invisibly minus the breeze, or sound of the turning blades verses that of various electrical fans normally used - and that I understand is a big part of the allure - and to a degree the mystique, for those who purchase and use them.
Aside from actually seeing the fan spinning you don't comprehend how they can spread the heat around in a room one is being used in, yet apparently they do it very well.. or so I'm told.  

John Mc

I've often wondered about how much they are moving. The fan certainly spins, and does so at a good rate when once I've got the stove fully warmed up. The blades are so flat - barely any pitch at all - that I wonder how much air they move. I don't doubt they move some air, but the area we've got ours in is the middle of our open floor plan house, so it's hard to tell.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Buy several cheap thermometers, place them around the room and commence testing!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GRANITEstateMP

Sorry, late to the table on this one!  I've got one, on my 2nd or 3rd now?  It's the biggest one they make.  My stove is in the basement, big and ugly (like me) stove.  I got the first one hoping to help circulate the hot air, and in case (when) the power went out help heat the whole house without any electric fans.  I makes almost no noise, you can't really "feel" air moving from it.  BUT, as I said I'm on my 2nd or 3rd, I keep buying them because they seem to work.  I I did an experiment with my first one (the medium sized one). When my stove got up to temp and the fan was spinning, I grabbed a splint on wood and got it smoldering.  I put it behind the fan and watched the "smoke" move around.  Seemed to work good, till the smoke alarm went off! (never, ever said I was smart).  I'll adjust the direction that the fan blows if I need more heat headed toward the front side of the basement or towards the stairs going up, or toward my wood rack, if my wood needs some further "seasoning".

Long story longer.  I'd buy it again.  I traded the smaller one to a buddy, for something???  I bought the biggest one.  It died after about 5 or maybe 6 years?  New one is going onto year 3 or 4.  I got mine through my Brother-In-Law, he's a chimney sweep, so I got a bit of a discount but they are still pretty proud of them!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

Hardware store I work at sells them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GRANITEstateMP

Almost forgot, pretty sure they sell one that works on pellet stoves too.  I think it starts spinning at a lower temp??? Just don't try putting one of those on your wood stove, it won't last long since they get so much hotter
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

John Mc

Mine is at least 7 or 8 years old and still spins fine.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Whitman

The fan needs to be at the back of the Stove top. This is sow the top heat sink cools, the fan
is more efficient . In Alaska off the grid they are used a lot.

bas

i have one sure didn't pay retail price for it, handy when you're on the couch against the wall and you get the cold coming off the wall you point that way and sure can feel the heat blowing your way. no it doesn't move a thousand cfm but certainly a quit and noticeable air movement.

Deere80

I don't know if I got a bad one but I don't think it helps much.  I bought the biggest one that I could find and paid $150 for it which if I would of seen it run before buying it I would not of spent $20 on it.  It spins like crazy but does not move much air.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

realzed

After what I had already heard in the past and from the positive comments on here, I went ahead and purchased one late this past weekend.  
As I write - it is merrily spinning away and kicks in at exactly the stove top temp as advertised.
I'm presently typing this from the far end of our 30 foot open room at camp with a small fire on and it feels the same at this end, basically as at the other!
No noise, no fuss - it just came on and started turning away without any ado, and the lack of noise just makes you forget it's even there and working!
Not cheap - but if it works for a few weeks Spring and Fall for a few years - it will have paid for itself (well sort of) at least in comfort and uniqueness..
Thanks for the feedback mostly - at this early point I have to agree with those who liked and commented positively about their usage and efficiency!
Randy  

Thank You Sponsors!