iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Food Plots

Started by Magicman, September 27, 2015, 08:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I subsoiled all of the deer food plots yesterday and got one disked and then a hydraulic hose let loose, as in busted.
I was hoping to get the seed in the ground before the forecast rain tomorrow & Tuesday.  Maybe I can finish later this week?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

What are you going to plant?  Around here we've always had hard freezes before season, but alfalfa fields are usually good places to sit over if not covered in snow.  As far as the hydraulics, right now I feel your pain all to well, my 4840 needs brakes and I really need it so trying to limp it through silage cutting.  It's our packing tractor and don't use them much for that so hopefully....

Magicman

I will plant a mixture of Oats, Wheat, and Ryegrass.  Pellitized lime and triple 13 at planting and I will top dress with Nitrogen in a month.  I do a soil test about every 3 years.

Kinda like if it is too hot, too cold, too dry, or too wet, something will make it.  That plus I very heavily "overseed" because there will easily be 20 deer munching in a one acre food plot.  The main food source is acorns, but they seem to like a side salad of green grass.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

My Grandson will be happy that the deer plot seed that he planted yesterday will get a soaking from the rain that the radar shows.  The subsoiling will still suck up the moisture on my unplanted food plots.  I will be OK.

fishfighter

Used to do them here, but it got to the point that the wild pigs tear up everything. >:( I would like to put foot to rear side of the fool that dropped off these wild pigs in my area. They are killing off our deer herd all together now. The kids are trying there best to shoot every one on sight that they see. Once it cools off some, I start baiting my traps for them. I give the meat to the food banks around me. A win win there.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: fishfighter on September 28, 2015, 08:14:05 AM
Used to do them here, but it got to the point that the wild pigs tear up everything. >:( I would like to put foot to rear side of the fool that dropped off these wild pigs in my area. They are killing off our deer herd all together now. The kids are trying there best to shoot every one on sight that they see. Once it cools off some, I start baiting my traps for them. I give the meat to the food banks around me. A win win there.

Pigs will kill deer? new one on me. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

BradMarks

Interesting.  Perhaps the pigs are making havoc on habitat and available browse and the deer have moved on/away??

Magicman

I got two new hydraulic hoses so Marty and I are planning to disk and plant tomorrow.  It will be a long day.....but fun.   ;D

fishfighter

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 30, 2015, 07:41:29 AM
Quote from: fishfighter on September 28, 2015, 08:14:05 AM

Pigs will kill deer? new one on me.

Yes. they will kill a fawn in a heart beat. Turkey nest don't have a chance too! My place and the area is going to the -raper. >:(

MM, hope everything is good with the family. Been thinking and praying for y'all.

Magicman

Marty and I got-r-done today.  New hydraulic hoses on, disked, planted, & covered. 

We also had time to put sharp blades on the Bushhog, which is absolutely a two man job.

Deese

Magicman, how did your food plots turn out? I'm guessing they got pretty tall due to all of the rain and warm temps we had earlier...

Here are a few pics of a small plot I planted by the house a couple years back...Imperial Whitetail Clover.

This is what it looked like the first Fall/Winter. Deer kept it eaten down pretty good.

This is what it looked like the following Spring. It really took off  8) 8) ;D :)

It lasted about 2 years with zero maintenance. I could have EASILY got 4-5 years out of it if I would have sprayed for grass and weeds and mowed occasionally...

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

We have just patented a few more clover varieties at work...Pretty neat stuff.

Here is a ladino variety that we selected that has big leaves  ;D

And here is one of our "yield trial" plots. A different variety in each square. We measure many variables, drought tolerance, seed production, protein content, etc...

And here you can see where I took samples, all equal sample size, from each square for testing. Fun Stuff  8)

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

They did OK, but the deer kept them mowed down.

I watched this 9 point cross the Straw Field on Dec. 28th.

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

drobertson

fun stuff working the ground and planting the plots, and watching the deer,  Deese, have you tried the Laredo soy bean?  It does well combined with the white clover, red too, they will keep it mowed down pretty close once they find it.
I tried the Maverick variety once, they did not like this one as much.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

drobertson, I personally have never tried that variety. The company that I work for may have in the past. Not sure.
We use a Tyrone soybean variety in one of our current blends. It does pretty well. The blend contains tyrone soybeans, iron clay peas, lablab, sunflowers, and sun hemp.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Any kind of bean or whatever else that I mix in gets nubbed off at the ground as soon as it comes out of the crook.  When sometimes 20+ deer are hitting a one acre plot, nothing survives.

Deese

Quote from: Magicman on January 22, 2016, 04:51:42 PM
Any kind of bean or whatever else that I mix in gets nubbed off at the ground as soon as it comes out of the crook.  When sometimes 20+ deer are hitting a one acre plot, nothing survives.

With that many deer, agreed. We had a 5 acre plot planted with various things and in the Fall/Winter, there was nothing but appeared to be dirt. If you looked closely, you could see tiny sprouts where the deer kept it nibbled down. Sometimes I would put up small wire "exclusion cages" (basically tomato cages) staked into the ground and it would be a foot tall inside. Kinda neat. I'll try to find a pic. Not sure if I have one.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Well, the stuff in this one wasn't 1' tall but it's the only one I have saved on my computer... :-\ :-\ :-\

Cooks AE4P Edger

Magicman

Many folks here will put a net wire "cage" in their food plots.  My only salvation is that the fields that my food plots are in originally held a good stand of fescue.  This comes back every year and provides a diversion for deer.  The fescue is visible behind the deer in the above picture.  Deer normally will feed on the fescue for a while before they go to the planted plots.

H.O.D.

Good looking food plots by everyone. I understand the purpose of a sub soil plow but wasn't sure if it was worth the time and trouble considering how long it would take to do several acres with a single shank. Any thoughts. Also have been wanting to fert red oaks but according to every source of info I can find fert them doesn't produce any results. I was thinking of drilling holes around the drip lines and pouring in say triple ten.Hard to believe doing this just before green tips in the spring wouldn't give any tree a boost. Most all my oak  has the crown cleared on all sides..dont know what more could be done. Got some deer still digging for turnips and feeding on tops  from cutting firewood.

Magicman

I only have ~3 acres of food plots, so the single shank does OK, plus that is all that my old tractor would pull anyway.  After subsoiling I only have to make one pass with the disk, but without, I would have to make 3-4 passes to break it up.

Fertilizing Oak trees is not so bad.  In the Spring, take your peavey and punch holes at the drip line about every 2-3 feet and I fill them with 13-13-13.  It makes much difference with the acorn yield.

H.O.D.

Thank you very much for the info and help..I will use both of your ideas this spring. You have a great parcel of land to play on.

Czech_Made

H.O.D.

what are you planting...must be a summer food source which is great. Most of us go too heavy on fall food which is understandable. I got a bag of four  soybean blend..hope to get started about JUne 1st.

Thank You Sponsors!