Planman1954

You're spose to be lookin' at the fence...not the shadows! ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Planman1954

Ok...so here's the finished product:

I'm happy.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very NICE! Looks like a western TV show coming on.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

One of the things my wife wanted built when I bought my mill was a wooden fence next to the driveway.  After five years she says her fence is still dropping acorns in the woods.  Good job on yours, Planman.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

H.O.D.

Outstanding fence start to finish. A good eye matching the plane of the fence to the land contour. I have seen folks add a copper or tin cap to the top plate but maybe not worth the effort. I use exterior screws on everything also...always glad later.

Planman1954

Thanks for the comments. It is kind of hard to get a perspective of all the fence at once due to land slope and trees in the way. We ran a string along the top rail as far as possible to achieve a more consistent look to the eye. It is about 5'-6" high overall so my sisters horses can't jump over it. I've seen them jump a 4' fence. I used screws. They won't let go like nails do over time. It also will make it easier to replace rotten boards in the years to come. We pre painted all the railings before installing. The posts were painted in place after being set plumb. I used the caps to prevent premature rot on the joint vertical board, which you can't see...it's on the other side of the fence. It was a lot of effort, but looks great across the field.

pineywoods

Gary is quite the woodworker. He builds a fence like it's a piece of furniture. Now if I could just get him started on a sawshed  :( Pore ole norwood still sits out in the rain.. Did you get the head lift cable fixed ? or you need my tractor with fel ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Planman1954

It has the cover on now. You got on me for leaving it off last time, so I remembered this time.
Yep, I got it fixed. I got a guy here that works on garage doors and he had it tensioned in five minutes! Got some new wood mixer blades. Nice to cut logs like butter again!

Planman1954

I had a fellow paint the fence I've posted about and replace a number of rotten boards. Thought you might like to see it.

Sawmill Man

Thats a nice fence. How have the post held up and what type of preservative did you use ?
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Planman1954

I used white oak and post oak for the posts...no preservative. The rails are painted pine. I had recycled quite a number of old boards originally, and some rotted or did not hold up to the horses. Now that the weaker boards are replaced, the entire thing is new again. The posts should last longer than me!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

IMERC

very nice...
how did you st the post in what kind of soil?...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Planman1954

I think the posts were about nine feet long...don't remember...but we dug holes about three feet deep and plumbed each post. I may have put a shovel full of gravel in the bottom first...I think we did. Anyway, we just put dirt and packed it as we filled them, using a string to keep them in a straight line. 

Thank You Sponsors!