iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tool for the sawmill

Started by 123maxbars, September 29, 2018, 01:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I sold my Bobcat last month that I used to move logs and load my kiln. I never liked the Bobcat that much, I spent 12 years in a Police Car which gave me some slight back trouble when I left to run the sawmill full time. The  awkward position I had to get into to climb into the Bobcat seat always seemed to aggravate it. I had a Kubota tractor when I first got my sawmill but the loader capacity wasn't up to par. In the last few years I have watched tractors come a long way in the amount of weight they can lift. After shopping around for the last month I went with a new Mahindra. The tractor is 50hp and with the loader and wheel ballast comes in at 8k on total weight. The loader can lift 2800lbs to full height, though I usually just lifts logs up a few inches off the ground to place in from of the LT35.  Me and my wife also bought a farm yesterday so this tractor will perform double duty for farm chores etc.  I made a short video showing the delivery and specs. Now I have to move over 100 logs and my kiln, that will be the hard part  ;D

NEW TRACTOR DAY FOR THE SAWMILL! MAHINDRA 4550 - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Bruno of NH

Max
I have the same tractor and I like it a lot.
I move some big logs around with it.
Mine is a cab model
Mahindra makes a heavy tractor and you won't have any issue with it revgening on you.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

Very nice!  Are you planning on armor plating the bottom if you go into the woods a lot?  When I'm done building, I'm thinking about getting a tractor if I can sell my SkyTrak.  Funny how excited you are about 2,800 pound lifting force. 

I'm spoiled with my old SkyTrak that lifts 9,000 pounds.  And I find at times that is not enough! :o  When I pick up a little stick (14-16" x 16'), its like nothing.  It gets exciting when I have a 30" x 28' log and I extend the boom - I can feel the rear raise up a little.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Looks good.
Not to say anything about under armor. I cut on my land. Cut the limbs short,I try for 2 feet,if I am leaving them and plan my roads. I stop and move brush out of my trails. I cut the small trees out of my trails. Yes,it takes time,but when getting all the money,I can take the time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OffGrid973

I am beyond jealous, this is like my ultimate dream, a farm and new tractor.

Coming out a little hot during the drop off, I bet you loved that 2 seconds, ha ha.

Only watched 2 min, grabbed a beverage and going in for the rest now. Also looking forward to the series on the farm, hopefully they let you post "Into The Farm" videos on the sawmill forum, I vote yes if it matters.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WDH

Bought a Farm?  That is exciting!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new tractor and new farm!  Be safe with that tractor!  Wear that seat belt!  I know it is inconvenient but so is having the grapes mashed out of you!  Loader work especially in a log yard can present tip over hazards.  The seat belt and ROPS are meant to work together.

I was loading firewood onto a truck last week using the FEL on a similar sized tractor.  With a full bucket I backed over a small pile of firewood with the right tire.  If I had not lowered the bucket quickly it might have have tipped over.  I've been running tractors up to 90 hp for 40 years and it was as close as I've ever come to turning one over.  And yes I wear a seat belt even in the cab tractor and rubber tire loader.

Be safe and enjoy!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Congratulations on the new tool!  Nice looking ride.  Hope the gears work well for you.  I did notice the guy hitting the bucket during his dismount.  If you get a grapple it will be interesting to see how the close/ grip control works with the separate lever next to the seat.

I too look forward to the farm videos.  Does the farm have a home you plan to relocate to?  Glad you did not 'buy the farm' in the alternate meaning.  :o

Southside

Congratulations. What are your plans for the farming side of things?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

slider

Times 2 on the seat belt. I got the bright idea of buckling the seat belt behind me to save time,well i can tell you , it's hard to stay in the seat when you are over on your nose. 
al glenn

YellowHammer

Nice tractor, nice farm.  Congratulations.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

brianb88

Congrats on the farm and the tractor.
Measure twice, cut once

123maxbars

Quote from: Southside logger on September 29, 2018, 11:56:14 PM
Congratulations. What are your plans for the farming side of things?
Not sure yet, the farm has an organic garden already in place and pasture/water for animals. i might get back into beef part time if things go as planned, 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: samandothers on September 29, 2018, 10:07:30 PM
Congratulations on the new tool!  Nice looking ride.  Hope the gears work well for you.  I did notice the guy hitting the bucket during his dismount.  If you get a grapple it will be interesting to see how the close/ grip control works with the separate lever next to the seat.

I too look forward to the farm videos.  Does the farm have a home you plan to relocate to?  Glad you did not 'buy the farm' in the alternate meaning.  :o
Yes it has a house that was built about 20 years ago, 
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 29, 2018, 02:25:57 PM
Very nice!  Are you planning on armor plating the bottom if you go into the woods a lot?  When I'm done building, I'm thinking about getting a tractor if I can sell my SkyTrak.  Funny how excited you are about 2,800 pound lifting force.  

I'm spoiled with my old SkyTrak that lifts 9,000 pounds.  And I find at times that is not enough! :o  When I pick up a little stick (14-16" x 16'), its like nothing.  It gets exciting when I have a 30" x 28' log and I extend the boom - I can feel the rear raise up a little.
Probably not on the bottom, I have nothing but pasture and this will stay at the farm to move logs etc,
And my excitement also steams from paying cash for this tractor, a years worth of walnut slabs have made me a happy farmer,  8)
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Sixacresand

Good deal on getting a tractor and a farm.  Glad you are able to get both at the same time.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations on the farm and the tractor.  If it's like Bruno's i'm jealous.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!