iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade question from S.C.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 03, 2012, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is my first winter me and my LT 40 are spending together.

This summer when it was HOT, she sawed like a dream.

Today....it is in the low 30's, the wind is blowing 10-20 mph. IT'S COLD......for us in S.C. anyway.

Does an extremely cold blade saw any different?
Is blade life shorter or longer due to the Temperature?

Thanks!

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rockman

David, Having never sawed with a band mill I can't answer about blade life in hot or cold. However, having been born and raised and lived in the Adirondacks for 46 years, I know you will sweat ALOT less today than you did when it was in the 90's.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dovetails

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 03, 2012, 11:07:30 AM
This is my first winter me and my LT 40 are spending together.

This summer when it was HOT, she sawed like a dream.

Today....it is in the low 30's, the wind is blowing 10-20 mph. IT'S COLD......for us in S.C. anyway.

Does an extremely cold blade saw any different?
Is blade life shorter or longer due to the Temperature?

Thanks!

David

Yes defininate difference in blade life,at least for me,in NC. If temp is under 45 or so, or over 80,
I don't even start the mill ! Blades last a long time that way!! lol If too cold, I keep the wood stove company,and if to hot the AC unit needs watching too! Nice thing about not sawing for a living,but cause I like to! Talk about blade life, mine is a 1984-lt30, and I have some of the original blades from back then that came with it. They are thinner,and more flexable than the new ones,but still cut just fine when sharpened.So now I have 27 year old blades, THATS what ya call long blade life huh?
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now that's a good reply Dovetails. I ask a question and you gave me an honest answer that really does extend blade life. :D

I didn't saw today. DanG, the wind chill was to COLD to even think about it!

Good to hear from ya!

David

dovetails

I didn't saw today. DanG, the wind chill was to COLD to even think about it!

I have about 6 logs sitting there now waiting to be cut, I called the guy that owns them
yesterday morning, told him it would be a few days before the boards would be ready to
pick up, like when the temp is back up in the 40-50 range again. He works outside too, and just said not a problem! 23 out there right now, the wood stove sure feels good this morning!
I'm from NH originaly, so I grew up in cold winters,but now living down here, I prefer the temps
in the 60-70 range! Not fun sawing when cold,so I don't do it!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

kelLOGg

I rolled an oak onto the mill, leveled it, planned the cut and went inside to accompany the woodstove :D.   20 mph, 30* wind from the north blowing sawdust in my face came in a distant second.

I have not noticed a difference in sawmill/band performance in cold vs. hot weather (central NC) but I have noticed a difference in my performance.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

As a rule of thumb if you can hack it the band and mill can.It is probibly prudent when the temp dips below zerro to do something else unless you are sheltered in the sun.I'am sure the flex life of a band is less in the cold but not sure if we could measure it.Its more of an operator thing,you can't do good work when your freezing your bippie off.Hang out by the stove til it warms a little. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I would not think that there would be a performance or blade life difference at 30°, but as previously said, I try to avoid sawing when it is that cold.

The Lombardini doesn't prefer to start when the temps drop into the 30's or lower.  Smart engine.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's what I was wondering Magic....performance. Cold weather has to play some kind of a roll in a blade that thin.

I'll saw today. It suppose to get back into the 40's today. The 40's are still cold to me but not to bad for sawing.

I know some of you Northern guys work in shorts when it's in the 40's......but have at it!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!