iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huh?  Paul, Please Translate!

Started by Jeff, July 07, 2003, 08:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

"Once upon a time, so legend has it, an injured logger was brought to a hospital, which may have been in New Westminster, or maybe Snohomish, or perhaps it was Tillamook. In any case, the head nurse asked him how the accident had happened. "Nurse" said he, "It was this way: I was setting chokers on the candy side and was just hooking onto a big blue butt when the rigging slinger says to let her go. The hooker yelled Hi! to the punk, the punk jerked the wire, the puncher opened her wide, and. . . well, Nurse, here I am." This wasn't too clear to the nurse. "But," she said, "I don't understand." The logger sat up in his cot. "Damned if I do, either," he replied, "unless that haywire rigging slinger was crazy."
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Jeff,  If you ever come down,  maybe I'll let you punch our donkey. :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Well,I think he was right.The rigging slinger either wasn't paying attention to his crew,or he was just plain crazy.Still,the hooker should have picked up on that.

They should both be down the road!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Candy side is a "cream show" that has good ground,wood and equipment.
Hooktender(hooker) is the boss of the whole side(yarding and loading)
Punk(whistle punk) relayed the signals from the yarding crew to the donkey puncher by means of a jerk wire from the bush to the whistle lever on the steam donkey.In later years it was electric wire with a squeeze switch.

Rigging slinger is the one that picks the logs to be choked for the turn.He is second in command out in the rigging.

"Hi" would be a loud yell to stop the rigging,and again to go ahead on it,in the old days.Now,it would be one whistle to stop,and three to go ahead full throttle.It's a lot safer that way.

The whistle punk was replaced with hip worn radio transmitters.

Kevin_H.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

DanG

Jeff, I ain't sure, but I think Noble just invited you to kick his ass. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

DanG, I think you are right! :D

The rest is so clear I'm gonna have to get Deadheader! ;D

Paul_H

The guy was setting his highlead choker and the rigging slinger gave the signal to go ahead on the turn.Both of his bosses should have seen that he was in danger.

He got ran over by some logs. Ouch,thats gotta hoit.

Furby

Ahhhhhh, THAT'S better! I can't help it, my english SUCKS! ;D

dail_h

Would sombody translate this into southern? Sounds like the idiot giving directions to the moron running the skidder jumped the gun liked to have kilt the choker settet.Iszat close?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

Could be. :-/  I figure that there were too many hands in the pie.  Seems to me that they needed one guy and a mule till they got that log up to where the skidder could see what he was hooked to.  

Must have been a Union camp. :)

Jeff

Paul_H

I've never heard of that one before.Maybe a Oregon slang?

Frank,
Have you heard it before?

Tillaway

Yaller bellies... but no blue butts. ;D
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

OneWithWood

Perhaps he was hooking onto the butt end of a big blue beech.  Or mebbee it was in the dead of winter and one of the other workers got caught with his britches split and well you can guess the rest :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Wenrich

Found this on a site from Washington state.

Blue-butt.  A large, heavy, resinous butt-end of a log.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mark M

I thought it was sumpin bears get during blueberry season :D

dail_h

I'da thought resin on your butt would cause it to be red, not blue
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Mark M

Yeah - I hate it when that happens!  :D

Bro. Noble

Back to Jeff's original story,  how bout if one of you fellers that knows how to use those language translators puts that in Portugese so that Fab can (not) understand it.  ::) than maybe put it from Portugese to Japanese just to make it interesting :P  Then back to English to see if it makes anymore sense to us then :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

I already did that! Here is what I got:

Senor' Jeff, I are Noble from missed story. How say I, can you come to missed story and boot my ass in the mule?

AtLast

ummmmmmm....was he a yooper?  :)  ;D

Frank_Pender

I am sorry it took me so long to get here.   :-/  A blue butt is the stump end of a log that has had a great deal of pitch accumulate and has turned a bluish tint from the time of cutting to the choker setter hooking on.   As Tillaway was saying "yeller" is also a color that can appear and the log has set since felling for less time than a "blue butt" .  Yo bring this home a bit better: "yellow butt" = haveing set in your recliner for one hour and only half of your backside is asleep. while a "blue butt" = a two hour stay/ :D :D

Another analogy would be a spanking from your mother or the principal.  If my mother it would be blue. :'(
Frank Pender

coxy

Quote from: Frank_Pender on July 22, 2003, 02:40:16 AM
I am sorry it took me so long to get here.   :-/  A blue butt is the stump end of a log that has had a great deal of pitch accumulate and has turned a bluish tint from the time of cutting to the choker setter hooking on.   As Tillaway was saying "yeller" is also a color that can appear and the log has set since felling for less time than a "blue butt" .  Yo bring this home a bit better: "yellow butt" = haveing set in your recliner for one hour and only half of your backside is asleep. while a "blue butt" = a two hour stay/ :D :D

Another analogy would be a spanking from your mother or the principal.  If my mother it would be blue. :'(
has any one( figerd) this out yet

sawguy21

:D :D Thanks for bringing this back, it is from before my time here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

this is a true story. guy i hauled wood for yrs ago had this fellow working for him. he only had one eye. so he gets something in his only eye. the boss takes him to the hospital. nurse asked whats wrong.........says i got sumtin in my eye. he dose not have the eye patch on . she looks up at him...........my god its missing......nooo its the otther eye

Maine logger88

Snowstorm is there any chance the guy with one eye was butch fuller?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!