iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stain and finish on hickory

Started by Leegej, June 19, 2017, 09:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leegej

Getting close to putting the finish on a hickory dining room table. I'm not looking to "stain" it, just something to really make the grain and colors of calico hickory pop. Maybe something like linseed or ting oil? I have used danish oil in the past.

Then I need a durable topcoat. I've struggled with getting a good and smooth finish in the past. I'm looking into an HVLP spray gun to give spray finish a shot.

Den-Den

I like thinned tung oil on Hickory/Pecan to bring out the color with lacquer for a top coat (after the tung oil cures a few days).  Oil based polyurethane is a durable finish but takes more time and work to get it right.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Leegej

How much do you thin it, and what with? Do you spray on your lacquer? I'm trying to find a HVLP set up that won't break the bank but don't know much about it!

drobertson

Looks good to this point, waiting to see the finish.  Surely you will prevail.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jemclimber

There is a big difference between tung oil and tung oil finish. Pure tung oil usually takes quite awhile to polymerize/cure. It can also easily be freshened up in future years and has a "soft" appearance.  Also just fyi danish oil is not just oil, it's a blend of resin, solvent, and some type of oil.   
I personally wouldn't use lacquer on a kitchen table. It's very susceptible to solvents, such as acetone in fingernail polish.  I have girls so ask me how I know where they leave used fingernail polish rags.
lt15

Den-Den

Quote from: Leegej on June 19, 2017, 05:15:27 PM
How much do you thin it, and what with? Do you spray on your lacquer? I'm trying to find a HVLP set up that won't break the bank but don't know much about it!

I use "Pure Tung Oil" thinned with mineral spirits (60% mineral spirits, 40% tung oil).  Wipe on a generous coat, wipe off any excess and let cure at least 3 days (a week is better).  Yes, spray the lacquer.  If you don't have spray equipment, the rattle can lacquer from Home Depot (Rustoleum brand) is pretty good.

Poly is a more durable finish for a table but poly is miserable to repair if damaged does occur (it will).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Leegej

I'll try the tung oil on some scraps and see how I like it. I'm looking at buying a graco FX3000 gun for spraying. Seems to be highly reviewed, and won't break the bank.

I've seen first hand the damage nail polish remover does to a table, but I like the idea of easily being able to touch up the finish.

Thank You Sponsors!