iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's Up With GM??

Started by Andy White, October 09, 2015, 06:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Have not been on much lately. First thing was recovering from my six foot dive to the concrete. Didn't feel like typing or reading thru swollen eye or wrists. Got over most of that, then Nancy and I have been wanting to get an old car to fix up . That is #five on my "bucket list'. Left last Monday to go to Athens Tennessee. The man had a 64-1/2 Mustang that looked really good. Dragged my fire log trailer all the way up there, and the car was not what I wanted. Really ruff, with a 25' paint job. Came home empty! Found a 65 with really good bones and mechanicals. 289 HP, top loader 4 speed, deluxe interior,run really well, but shifter was hung in gear.Good bargaining chip. Got this one "right". Now I have a new project. All was going well till this Monday. Took my truck to town, and when I pulled in the drive, I got a Check Engine lite. First time ever with 147.000miles. Next day, try to start, and really loud clatter on pass. side. Dragged it to a mechanic shop up here at the lake. Small, and country, but does great work! Explained how the 02 thru 09 GM,s have all had this trouble. Around 150,000, the cam lobes go flat. These are the 6.0liter and the 6.2,s.Got it back today, NEW engine, 150,000 mile warranty, Now, I got a new truck, and a classic to play with. Will post the car work later, but for now, I'm breaking in my new truck. Amazing all the ways my money disappears!!.No More GM for me.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

It was a backdraft of Cedar Smoke that entered the cam lobe follower intake check valve and caused a misconfluctuation of ionized neutrons in the pocket accumulator which surely fried the ampitillerators.  This malfunction is commonly called "tough luck".   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2015, 07:32:30 PM
It was a backdraft of Cedar smoke that entered the cam lobe follower intake check valve and caused a misconfluctuation of ionized neutrons in the pocket accumulator which surely fried the ampitillerators.  This malfunction is commonly called "tough luck".   ;D

I think that was english.
Could you please write it slower.
TIA
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

JB Griffin

Never heard of such, there's  load of 6.0's around here with 150-200k+ on um, and run fine.

Stranger thing have happened I guess say_what
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2015, 07:32:30 PM
It was a backdraft of Cedar Smoke that entered the cam lobe follower intake check valve and caused a misconfluctuation of ionized neutrons in the pocket accumulator which surely fried the ampitillerators.  This malfunction is commonly called "tough luck".   ;D

:D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Gadrock

Should have checked you FLUX CAPACITOR first.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

r.man

Cam lobes wearing out was an old problem of GMs back in the late 70s or 80s. My brother had one go and we knew lots of people who had the same problem. In my brothers case GM paid half the bill and that was an older vehicle.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

samandothers

Andy
Look forward to the Mustang thread!  Sorry to hear of the truck issues. 

petefrom bearswamp

clearance too small, whiffgiggy running too close to the mealchest causing cam failure
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!