iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tigercat skidders

Started by ga jones, February 25, 2015, 08:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ga jones

Are there any tigercat skidder owners here? I ask because the local dealer has a 630.dual arch. And looking at it I realized it isn't as big as I thought. if I put 23.1x26 tires on it and took the arch and grapple off it wouldn't be any bigger then my 380. What is the difference between a 630 630b and 630c? Are they worth the extra money they command? I maybe want to get something newer and with heat. Less hours. I hate Deere.this may be the way I want to go.620 610 604c are way to much money from what I've seen.630s are reasonable
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Decked

There's a crew working about 400 yards from my house. A 610 grapple & a 630 grapple. They SORT on the landing with the 610  :o

They don't seem to get a LOT done..maybe 3 tri-axle loads a day...

kiko

Tigercat skidders are overrated IMO.  The 630 had a tendency to overheat, at least down here.  The 630 is also a fuel hog.  The hydro stats can be expensive to repair.  That being said they are well built.  The hyd. Clys are the best in the industry.  The 630b is longer than the 630 and has cross flow radiator with a hyd fan.  The 630c was a lemon, but a beast when operating properly.  The 620c is a good machine.  All the c series machines are all electronic controlled. 

loggah

I'll second the fuel hog bit!! being hydrostatic you got to run them at high R.P.M. all the time.a buddy of mine who owned a late model cat 518 wit 528 axles tried out a tigercat 630 and it burned half again in fuel what the cat would burn in one day.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

ga jones

My intentions would be to convert it to a cable machine. I don't think it would overheat. However 8.3 cummins is more then a cable machine needs. Fuel hog is a problem.620 have the 6bt,or the latter 6.7?Or only 610?
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

346xp

From  what the crews around say big time fuel hogs and breakdowns are very costly

kiko

620 and 620 b had 5.9 6bta.  First run of 620c had 5.9 24 valve with vp44 injection pump. Later production 620c had the 6.7, which has shone to be a good engine.  I believe all the 610 had the 6.7 . 

ga jones

Ok thanks for the info. I ran a brand new 630d with turnaround at an equipment show in state college. When you step on the throttle the engine and trans kinda went together. At low speed the engine was at low rpm. The faster you went the more rpm.i think if my memory serves me right.

ga jones

I ran the three skidders they had there. 545 cat 748 Deere and the tigercat. There was a steep draw and it was raining. The tigercat was the only one that could make the incline without any difficulty.just my 2 cents.

tj240

if you want a cable machine why by a grapple then take it off? then change the tire size thats a lot of money. if you want a good cable machine that will pull try a tj 360 or a 460, they both came with 23- 26 tires and they will pull. both have cummins engines, not to bad on fuel.  the 630 tigercat is a big machine all the way around.  big machines are actually cheaper cause nobody wants them. if you want cable buy a cable, just my two cents. good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

ga jones

Just kicking it around. I have a buddy that converted a 450 tj he sold the grapple and arch. It was a wash no extra money.

BargeMonkey

Ive noticed i can buy a lower hr 648G3 or H, add 23.1 rubber, rip the grapple off and go thru the machine for less than i can buy a used cable for, plus sell the grapple and 30.5 tires. Your not the only one looking, and its not a bad idea. 540-640 cables are bringing stupid money.

ga jones

Yes I agree.newer Cable machine's are getting tougher to find also.

ga jones

So I gather that the older tigercat had to be run wide open all the time. Now the one I ran at the show had variable engine speed.

Decked

They are running both tigercats right now ,landing less than a quarter mile from my house. I only hear the engines when the pull up the hill...the dam back-up alarms are louder than the engines.

Thank You Sponsors!