iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber grading

Started by Frank_Pender, September 13, 2005, 10:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

Well, the most I can report on the subject after today's 4 hour meeting is that we are moving ahead with interviewing two different agencies to possibly work with.  We are going to have them come to us with proposals and we will interview them for the kinds of services they might provide.   We had about twenty interested parties on hand today.   There were 6 no shows for some reason.  The cruxt of the matter is/was that there is a definite need for everyone on getting lumber graded, how that would be enacted will happen withing the next few weeks or so. 8)

ps.  I am also in hopes of haveing introduced a good number of those folks to the Forestry Forum.  Some knew of the other place, but not here. :'(
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Some several months ago, there was a discussion on this issue.  If I recall correctly someone here on the Forum was involved with the New York Legislature and getting some guidelines designed for operators, such as outselves, to be able to saw lumber and get it graded or be used for home construction.   Who among us was that kindly person? :-[ ???
Frank Pender

Duncan

Frank,

Hello from Washington.  I would like more details are you meeting with some Gov. Agency and trying to simplify/make it possible for us small guys to provide framing lumber for house construction?  This has been one of those rediculous items that has been frustrating me.
Kelly

Paul_H

Frank,
My guess is it's in here somewhere

Gripes Link

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Frank_Pender

Duncan, there no government folks going to be involved in this process until we get all of our ducks in the pen and alined in the process. >:(

As far as I am concerned at this point we are not necessarily going to ask, but explain to them what we are going to do. 8)
Frank Pender

Furby

Frank_Pender

Thank you Furby.   TPI is one of the folks we will be speaking with next week about what they might be able to offer.  ???
Frank Pender

Don P

Hi Frank,
Sorry, the state threw me, I'm trying with our VA officials. One link I put up was from NH law, I think Lewee pointed in that direction...I have a great memory, its just short  ???. Our meeting is Oct 13 I'll have more to report then or soon after. The local paper will publish the invite in the next week.

Frank_Pender

Our is the 10th or 12th..  It has not yet been set, offically.  I too will let you folks know.   New Hampshire,, ye?  Thanks.  I will let our meeting coordinator know. 

Who is the contact person for your meetings and happenings, Don P.?
Frank Pender

caryr

Frank,

If you have not already done so, please make sure Scott L. at OSU extension knows about this meeting. This has been something he and a few others up here have been talking about for some time.

Cary

Frank_Pender

The meeting in Oregon was set up by he and Jim Reeb form OSU extension.   I have been proding them some time now.  this thing is going to happen one way or another. 8)
Frank Pender

caryr

That's what I would have guessed, but it sounded a bit different than what Scott and I had talked about a few weeks ago. There have been a number of us prodding Scott on this subject.

Cary

Frank_Pender

Are you going to be at the next meeting, Cary?

We are just in the beginning throws of this whole issue.  There is plenty of time for changes and modifications on our direction.   A journey always begins with the first step.
Frank Pender

caryr

I'm not sure. This is more of a side issue for me right now. I'm currently working on something else with Scott, though we have brainstormed a bit on grading. Even if I don't make it to the meeting(s) Scott or some other attendee will have my input.

Cary

sigidi

Here is Aus it must be a bit different...

I contacted some accredited training organisations and they told me when their next courses where or added me to a list to make a course and now I am a nationally qualified timber grader for Hardwood. THis allows me to visually grade hardwood so it can be used in domestic construction.

Our Building Code of Australia (the BCA) mandates that any timber used in domestic construction has to be graded, so for me even anything I was to use in our own house construction (very soon hopefully) had to be graded after I cut it. I figured the $280 or so I spent on the course would be a heck of a lot cheaper than trying to pay someone to come in and grade my sawn timber before I use it in the house. Also it means I can provide an extra service to my clients if they want to build with their timber too.

By the sounds of it over there it isn't that simple for you guys?
Always willing to help - Allan

lawyer_sawyer

Sigidi
could you post a link or where I could get more information on the accredidation process that is there in Australia.
I think a similar process over here would be great.
Love the outdoors, chainsaws, my 300 win mag, my wife and my son but not exactly in that order.

sigidi

I don't really have a link per se, just training organisations which are accredited training providers.

It's a little weak over here on the legal/accreditation side of things. At the time of getting onto a course I was strapped for cash, so I was trying to see if there was another way around paying out the $'s I did. I rang our big local hardwood mill and chatting to the old Father who owns the mill. He said "it's just comon sense, if you would use it in your house then it meets the standard" I have a feeling, (but unconfirmed) that his graders may not have formal quals, just time served on the job.

Even the trading providers quote the BCA "All timber used in domestic construction is required to be graded" now that's it verbatum, so it doesn't say what qual's the grader needs, what method has to be used to grade (be it mechanical grading or visually graded) or to what standard.

A little bit weak I'd say when it comes to the structure of ones house??

The folkes I used where FITEC I'm sure they can be found at www.fitec.edu.au
Always willing to help - Allan

Frank_Pender

We are holding our second gatheing tomorrow.  Any special requests or information that some of you folks would like to share, please do so.   The meeting begins at 2:00 our time tomorrow.  You have until about 12 our time tomorrow to get  any thoughts or information to me.

Thank you all for the imput you have already shared.
Frank Pender

Vermonter

There's another thread on this subject going in the Timber Framing section.....
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14705.0
I made my latest rant there.
Thank you Mr. Pender for your work on this issue.  Do you visit Corvallis?  I went to school there back in '86-87.
New homestead

Frank_Pender

Yes, Vermonter, I get there at least 3 or 4 times a month.  I have a couple Logrite dealers in the area.
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Update:

Discussion centered around the concept of forming a co-op of sorts and possibly joining as grading bureau as a group.   With the group as a memeber thought was that perhaps we could then have the service of the bureau overseeing the the co-op and a few selected graders throughout the year for one major fee.  Some would pay a larger fee based on lumber production.  Many questions and no specific solutions until we meet with one particular bureau in the very near future, a week or so.  I plan on being in attendance at the meeting with the chosen bureau to negotiate through questions and answers.   
Frank Pender

beenthere

Frank
What choices of Bureau's do you have? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

We are looking at two bureaus at this time: West Coast Lumber Inspection Bureau out of Portland and Timber Products Inspection out of Vancouver, Washington.

We may even look into creating our own bureau.  Similar to New Hamshire's concept.
Frank Pender

Don P

Frank, not sure if you've considered them or not, 2 more in your area on the list.

PLIB
Pacific Lumber Ins. Bur.
Federal Way, WA
(253)835-3344

WWPA
Portland
(503) 224-3930

Frank_Pender

Yes we have, Don.  Some of the thoughts were the distance and the costs involved with both.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!