iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

As Mill Delivery Date Swiftly Approaches...

Started by tcsmpsi, May 19, 2006, 01:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

I have been working feverishly to accomodate the status quo of the business, family, environment and sneaking in every chance I can muster to work on having a spot to park and work the mill.   Of course, I have needed to upgrade/add on to my tool 'requirements', and do a bit of fabricating and tuning to make them more applicable.

Since yesterday marked the 6th week of the "6-8 weeks" delivery, and since I finally have been able to unlock the code of basic photo posting, I thought I would share a couple of the progress.

This is the entrance to the property.

Beginning to carve a new path through the thicket to open up a mill spot.
(notice the keen scrutiny of the two grub inspectors and fresh dirt rollers)

Working our way in.

This is going to be the basic spot for the mill (oh yes, I have a lot more to do, but at least I do have a spot I can park/work it)

Have these little piles of firewood accumulating here and there to soon be added to current stacks.  That little opening in the thicket back in the back of the photo is the path to the pond.

And, certainly, in keeping the permanent female partner satisfied with the building progress as well as the milling progress, requirement to fit all of  it together in a timely fashion, is a welcome challenge.   ;)

Now,  that swath down through there needs cleared so I can continue the building progress, while keeping things clear enough to get in and out. 

Of course when I get the mill here, I reckon we all know what's going to take the priority seat.  At least for a couple of days.  Or so.   ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Burlkraft

Tcsmpsi,

I'm excited for ya, man  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I'm gonna order mine reeeeellll soon ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

That is a nice looking mill site your opening up.

I missed  it somewhere what mill did you end up ordering?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

tcsmpsi

Thanks, Burlkraft!  Have you decided on what you're going to order, yet?

Hey, Part_Timer, thanks.  I have a lot more 'opening' to do yet.  But, I ought to have plenty of 'practice' material when the mill arrives. 

I have ordered a LogMaster, manual mill.   They're made here in East Texas, and from what I saw of their production, it ought to be low-tech and heavy duty enough for my bigger hammer adjustment procedures.   ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Part_Timer

I've not see that mill before do you have a web site for them.

What is the building in the last picture?
Peterson 8" ATS.

dredgeslavedave

3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

tcsmpsi

Hey, PT, I see that dsdave has supplied you with a web address.   Going by the LM website, I wasn't very impressed with the LM1 and had in my mind a LM 15 when I got to the plant, though it would have been more money than I had been looking to spend (kinda the same reasoning that had me more inclined to the LT28 instead of the LT15 WM). 
The short of it, it is a much more refined (and LARGER) machine 'in person'.  With all the Q & A (mostly excluding those about firearms), getting to be close with the various stages of production, I ended up with a LM1, 6' extension, trailer package and a box of blades (or, will one day, sooner than yesterday). ;)  (oh, and also, the wait for a LM15 would have been 4-6 months instead of 6-8 weeks) ;D

I figure in 3 yrs. or so, it will be worth what I gave for it (or more), and can trade in, sell, keep or whatever if I have a notion  (and need) to upgrade.

The building is multifunctional.  We reside in the top part, and the bottom houses vehicles, equipment, shop, laundry, reloading room, etc.
The current addition(s) will bring the whole thing to about 80' X 80' (excluding decks and walkways 'in the trees' back in the back)

Part_Timer

That looks like a nice mill.  When you get your's i'd like to see a bit closer pic.  It seems that most mill mfg's. don't want you to see the details. :)

it would be neat to walk down stairs and start sawing.  especially out of the rain.

do you have much mesquite there in your area?
Peterson 8" ATS.

tcsmpsi

Mesquite...hmmm...well, I reckon that would depend on what a feller would call "area".   We got plenty in Texas, but one would have to travel a ways from this spot to find it.   ;D  Naw, we don't have mesquite nearby.  Few hours west, and one begins to run into it.

This is a view directly across the road from my drive of last year's clear-cut (with an occassional deerstand 'uncovered').

Though I knew it was coming one day, I sure hated to see it.   I had known all of them since they were just little fellers.  ;)

Would be nice to have some good mesquite, though.

Certainly, I will be glad to share with you anything you would like to see/know about the mill.

tcsmpsi

Still cutting, clearing, rendering, stacking....and....waiting....

Here's a couple of the decks/walkways I had mentioned...just for forest  fun.  ;)

Part_Timer

I knew ya'll built shooting houses down there but WOW that has to be the biggest one I've ever seen.

Looks like you have plenty of logs to get started on when the mill arrives.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!