iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain oil for single grip harvestors

Started by Eddison, November 13, 2010, 05:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddison

Hi Guys,
Any experienced Men know how many gallons of chain oil a single grip harvester uses to cut 50 cords?
This problem is driving me nuts. I'm trying to work out what these monsters use on average, one guy told me 2 gallons per 50 cords, which sounds about right?

Any help is greatly appreciated on this.

Ed.

Jamie_C

It is going to vary depending on wood size and what length you cut the wood. If you are cutting mostly smaller wood (less than 7"dbh) and do most of it at 8' then you will probably go through about 3-4 gallons per 50 cord ... larger wood cut mostly in 16' lengths i have seen the Ponsse H73 i run consume 1.5 gallons to do 150 cubic meters. For even more fun if you have a lot of unmerchantables to cut as well then your bar oil usage will go up even more.

amberwood

we use 5-10L per day, based on recent log sizing and lenghts, probably about 800 cuts.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Eddison

Hi Men,

Thats about 80 m3 your cutting for a gallon Jamie, which is roughly what another forester told me.
Thank you.

Amberwood- 800 cuts for about 2 gallons? hmm...interesting.
Thank you.

Its like asking how long is a stick ??
Ed.

Jamie_C

Be sure to try several different brands of chain oil and compare consumption. We switched brands from Cobra/Irving to a brand from Quebec (can't remember the exact name) and have reduced bar oil consumption by about 1/2 gallon a day and get better wear out of the bars and chains as well. It has a lot more of the "tack" additive in it and sticks much better to the bar instead of running off.

Another trick to lowering chain oil use is to always run really sharp chains ... they cut a lot faster and you can save a lot of oil and save on bar wear as well.

There are so many variables but if it was me i would budget 50-60m3 per gallon to be safe ... the worst i have seen was just over 30 m3 per gallon ......

amberwood

a variable length of stick. The tank holds 20L, last 2-3 days. We produce about 4 loads per day, about 150 sawlogs per load, and a uncountable number of pieces of pulp and unproductive docking.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Eddison

Hi Men,

Thanks for the heads up - Amberwood, Jamie_C
I could spend months trying to find out how to budget this kind of thing.
Very valuable.

greatly appreciated..

ed

Eddison

QuoteAnother trick to lowering chain oil use is to always run really sharp chains

Yep, good idea. A dull blade causes more force and higher speed to be used, and more chain oil is used in the process.
This extra force, and the oil being vaporised by the speed of the chain (can be 50 mph), causes the chain to lengthen.
When that happens, the angle of the blades change a little, which means more force, and  speed is necessary, creating more wear, and more chain oil needed.

ed

Thank You Sponsors!