iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boiled up some poke for supper

Started by limbrat, May 19, 2013, 09:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

The grandson caught some bream in the pond before he had to go home. So i pan fried them and made a lemon butter sauce. Then cleaned the pan and browned some onions. After the second boling on the poke i reinsed them again squeezed them out and added them to the pan. When they got hot i cracked two eggs into the pan and scrambled them in. It was very good and i havent had any since before Maw Maw died in 80.,
ben

coxy

ancjr

Poke Sallet!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca

I figured someone would reply before me, but I guess the rest of the board is a buncha yuppies!   :D

My mom is from Harlan, and they have a festival named for it: http://www.harlanfestivals.com/poke_sallet.htm

D L Bahler

Half the folks in Indiana are either from Kentucky or East Tennessee

My dad was comin up from Alabama the other week and drove through east Tennessee and Kentucky, while there some lad asked him where he was from, when he said Indiana she wondered if he was lookin for a place -she was a Realtor.
Turns out, she heard Indiana and just assumed he was one of the thousands who had left that region years back, and now was lookin to move back...

Around here, we always considered poke to be a weed. Maybe because, if you don't treat it right, it's poison...

Jeff

Quote from: ancjr on May 20, 2013, 10:31:36 AM
Poke Sallet!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca

I figured someone would reply before me, but I guess the rest of the board is a buncha yuppies!   :D

My mom is from Harlan, and they have a festival named for it: http://www.harlanfestivals.com/poke_sallet.htm

Yer new, so we will forgive your lack of knowledge of the history of the Forestry Forum. The first time Polk was discussed here, you were just a yungun.  Time to use the search. It can save from making embarrassing assumptions. ;) ;D :)

Some photos I took for the forum about 2001

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Fess up Jeff, when was the last time you had grits with a mess of poke greens? :D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Heck even I have have poke sallet. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

With Tom. I also had peach cobbler for desert.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ancjr

I knew the yuppie comment would get a rise outta somebody!   ;) :D

Sixacresand

Does anybody actually plant and cultivate poke?  Or does it just come up from manure piles, limb piles and around fence post like on my 6 acres?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

ancjr

I've seen it canned in the groceries around here, but never seen anybody cultivate it.

dail_h

no need to cultivate it,,grows wild almost everywhere
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Kansas

I remember years ago in my rock n roll days, we played a song called poke salad Annie. Forgot all about that until this thread. Never knew what they were. People really liked it. The song, that is. I never heard of them being in Kansas.

bama20a

You can take the stalks when they are young,Boil them for afew seconds,Then peel the skin off,Cut up & fry like okra  ;D Sure is fine eating.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

sawguy21

Quote from: Kansas on May 24, 2013, 02:42:52 PM
I remember years ago in my rock n roll days, we played a song called poke salad Annie. Forgot all about that until this thread. Never knew what they were. People really liked it. The song, that is. I never heard of them being in Kansas.
Tony Joe White  "Poke salad Annie. Gators got yer granny chomp chomp"  ;D Catchy tune but I had no idea what poke salad was.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mike@Norwood

I always thought Poke was a Hawaiin dish with raw tuna. I guess you learn something new everyday.

tractormanNwv

Started eating poke back in the late 60's as a kid, along with creasey greens, always seem to be a mainstay on the farm, sure miss it.

Jim

Al_Smith

It's an edible weed . I've got it growing everywhere .

Seaman

We eat it here but only the tinder leaves of early spring. Old folks say it detoxis your system after a winter of no greens. Never heard of eatin stalks.
Anyone care to guess where it got it's name?
I don't know fo sho, but I got a guess.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Weekend_Sawyer

My buddy Randall, a great person but not the sharpest pencil in the box, pulled up a polk weed and noticed the root looked like a tuber so he sliced off a dime sized piece, chewed it a little, it tasted bad, he spit it out and spent the rest of the day in the bathroom and 3 days in bed.

Be careful.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!