iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Leyland Cypress log?

Started by Sawing 4 fun, June 14, 2014, 03:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawing 4 fun

Hello everyone, today I was offered 40 large Leyland Cypress trees. The diameter at the base is an average of 24''. I have never milled Leyland Cypress
before. Not sure if they are good for anything since they are a hybrid tree. Can anyone give me some advice if these trees have any value and if so, what could the lumber be used for.

Thanks again,
Gordon
Gordon
Sawing 4 fun
with 01 Frick
Powered by 4-71
Detroit

Ianab

I've sawn some, and it come out OK. Wide growth rings and white coloured wood, without much smell. It's supposed to be fairly durable but I haven't used any outside to check.

Don't know about value because it's not a "known" species, but I'm sure the wood is usable for all sorts of things. Probably anything you would use a white cedar for?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

The problem is who would want to use it?  I sell lumber, and I am not sure that it would move.  However, you might could use it yourself.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ocklawahaboy

At the right price, it would go for raised planting beds around here.

Arbor-Mill

I have sawn several thousand feet for a client over the course of the last two years.  He uses them for bird houses.  It is pretty wood, well kind of pretty.  It does not hold up here like bald cypress or Erc.  It actually rots pretty quick.  If the logs sit on the ground for several months the logs deteriorate quickly.  First round of logs I sawed for the customer he never stacked them and left them beside his shop.  They got very soft with in 4 or so month's.  He removed 25 more and racked those immediately after we sawed em.  His bird boxes looked very nice and he seemed to move em pretty quickly.  It's been my experience people will buy anything if the price is right.  Especially if it's out of the ordinary!  I would take em and encourage the  removal of all Leyland cypress trees.

Sawing 4 fun

Thanks for the input, I was thinking along thoughts same lines too. I am in the process of building an addition on my house, and was wondering if there is
any structural strength in the timber. I was thinking of making 4''x8''x20' beams to be used as roof rafters for a A frame. I'm thinking that the Leyland Cypress may be to soft for that application. Does any one have any input concerning using Leyland Cypress for structural timbers?

Thanks again,
Gordon
Gordon
Sawing 4 fun
with 01 Frick