iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Axes

Started by Jeff, September 17, 2004, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

QuoteSure they do. If you are wanting one to use try Ebay for a head, and you can buy handles and many flea markets. If you want an old one with an original handle I saw at LEAST a half dozen at a place called Jeffrey's antiques (no kidding) on I-75 just into Ohio coming from michigan. Chet let me "run" through the place on the way to Paul Bunyan. :D

Not just Jeffrey's Antiques, But Jeffrey's Antiques The largest Antique Store In Ohio.   ;D  And don't let ole Jeffy kid ya, in his current condition he can't run.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

There is a fellow on ebay that sells great old west coast axes and things. I have never been able to buy any of the stuff because its higher end then what I am able to collect, but I thought since he dealt in these things often, I would attempt to see if he could tell me anything about my ax. I was very pleased to get a reply and I hope Larry might find time to visit the forum.
--------------------------------------------------------
HI Jeff:  I have sold a few like this one.  Here is my guess on what it is.  It is a Canadian broad axe pattern made by Kelly.  Chances are that is was sold new to the CCC or Forest Service without a handle.  It may have had a handle but I feel the handle that is in it now was put in it at the CCC camp shop.  Either it came new with no handle and they put in this one or the original was broke and this is a replacement.  At any rate what I'm saying is that you have a nice Canadian broad axe, made in the U.S.A. and it now has a single bit axe handle in it.  This is unusual but they used whatever they had to work with and they may not have had the correct handles at that camp.  I have had two or three with single bit handles.  The thing that is wrong with them is that they are not bent like a broad axe handle.  In this period of time the CCC was using these a lot to make rail road ties and bridge beams for logging roads and access to the forest.  You have a very nice axe there in pretty good condition.  I would guess that is could be worth as much as $200.  I have sold some very similar to it for about $200.00.  This is an unusual one with that type of handle in a broad axe but that makes it all the more rare.  Thanks Larry
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beetle

I have a few of them old Broad Axes and Adzes, however, there is something about them old hand Saws ( Disstons, Atkins, Bishops ) with the ornate handles etc that I just cannot keep my checkbook where it belongs when I find one.

My wife told me the other night that if I bring another one home shes leaving, I am going to miss her.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

beetle

Dang it, The USPS man showed up today and she got to him before I did  >:(  Shes wound up like a mad tom cat.

I'll be sleeping down stairs tonight. It is a good looking old Disston # 7 though  8)

Timber_Framer

:D She'll cool down and your axe'll still be there!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

beetle

All kidding aside, she is actually pretty good about these things, she just shakes her head and says keep it out there  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!