iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New (to me) Truck

Started by Kevin_H., February 20, 2005, 12:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Well we were hauling a load of pallets down to portageville last week and the tranny on the 1/2 ton started giving me problems, Now the 1/2 ton has 180,000 miles on it and most of that was pulling something, so I think I got my money out of it, but it was time to take the banker out to lunch and move up to something bigger.

This is what we came up with, it's a 1984 C-60 with a 10' flat bed goose neck ready. I guess on the down side the truck is ten years older that the one it is replacing, but it also has 100,000 less miles. The truck rund great and looks good, but WOW is it geared low, tops out at about 62, not real bad usless you are on the interstate with a 70 mph speed limit.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Frank_Pender

The truck looks great, Kevin.  I am glad for for purchase. 8)
Frank Pender

EZ

Nice truck Kevin.
Maybe if you put some tires on like that big foot truck you could gain some speed. Coarse you would need a step latter to get in it.  ;D
EZ

thecfarm

I myself have always prefered a low gear truck.But this is for more like a farm truck,nothing for interstate travel. Also it's hard to go by a gas station too. Could the gears in the rearend be changed? Truck looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Buzz-sawyer

Very nice truck,
I have had the same challenge regarding top speeds with a similair truck. I am thinking about installing  another trans behind mine  (backwards) to get mpg at rpm my older truck tops out bout 50!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Quartlow

Another solution is a brownie auxiliary tranny, they come it 2 3 4 speed usually in combos of

direct and under

under direct over

under direct over over

The first overdrive is a .75 if I remember right and the double over is a .75 and .68

The advantage is they are all ready step to go in the drive line.
The . 75 will reduce your input rpms to 3/4 of the original drive shaft speed for the same road speed
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Kevin_H.

Well we just hauled our first load of logs with it and I guess the up side is it will go 62 empty or 62 fully loaded. When the truck was new it had the 2 speed rear axle but it got swapped and now only has the single speed.

We have been having big problems getting logs trucked in, so I hope this will help us out.

This was a farm truck, spent most of its life inside, The person who had it before us put about 26,000 miles on it in 13 years.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

tnlogger

kevin them c60 are a good old truck we've got a 67 model with a log bed and a 292 cu in it lol loaded or light samr speed and gas milage 65mph wound out and 8mpg
  8) 8)
gene

sawguy21

That is a Dang good truck but I would want the two speed axle or an overdrive tranny. Wonder why someone installed the tractor gears.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

J_T

Great looking truck 8) Have a truck now with out a two speed but has overdrive .I put from thurteen hundred to two thousand feet of logs on it and 55 is pleanty fast ??? Easy way to gain speed is not to use low profile tires or one size larger when you replace them . I'm sure it came out with 8.25x20 on it .If it has 9.00x20 that is about a tall as you can go. I have a GMC tractor with 22.5x20 tubeless low profile on it with a 300hp detroit an 8 speed trans and in low gear you have to draw a line to see if you are moving :D :D Now davs I worry more about stopping than going ???
Jim Holloway

Kevin_H.

tnlogger, I have always like the looks of these older trucks, Ours has the 366 and I think we are getting about 6mi to the gallon, the truck has two tanks a 50 gal and a 20. man that is going to hurt when we go to fill up.  :o

The truck has 19.5's on it now, we are having two new front tires put on it tomorrow.

Ironwood

Guys, who cares if it gets 6-8-10 MPG. Long as it will haul and is legal weight wise. My 1 ton probably gets 7-8 MPG. So you have the piece of mind of safety and no worries about the scales, sounds good to me as I am 10,500 "empty" on my 11,000 lb GVW one ton. I am always running heavy. REID :-\ :-\
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawguy21

I ran an overloaded underpowered fuel truck from Bieber CA to Boise on a Saturday. I had one 50 gal fuel tank. I had to stop and fill the fuel tank with the jet A I was hauling as I could not wait to buy an Oregon fuel permit on Monday. The nozzle was bigger than the tank opening so I probably had as much on the ground as in the tank. A few more mpg's and a larger tank would have made a big difference
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kevin_H.

getting 6 mpg doesnt bother me, I mean I would rather get 8 or 10 but as long as the truck does what I need, the fuel bill is just a cost of doing business.

Sure would like to have a 20,000 lb goose neck to pull behind it.  ;D

J_T

Think I would hunt a junk yard see if I could find some 8.25x20 on 10 hole wheels or 22.5x20 ??? Never saw 19.5 on a C60 ???
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!