iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 346xp, engine almost quites all of a sudden while cutting

Started by KBforester, May 01, 2015, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBforester

Hi Everyone,

I have a 346xp. I bought it new 2 years ago. I haven't had any problems with it until this past winter.

Starts easy, always. Seems to idle fine.

But when I make a cut, the engine loses power and almost dies. It will die if I don't ease off the gas.

I just brought it to a guy who said there was water in the gas, and some black residue in there too He flushed it. No scoring on the cylinder. When I got it back it seemed better for a couple of cuts, but then it was doing the same thing again. The repair guy used pre-mix fuel, and I did too.

I'm going to bring it back to him, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.
Trees are good.

sablatnic

Maybe the tank filter, but more likely the filter inside the carburettor. A filter about 1/4" diameter, in the pumping side of the carburettor, opposite the needle valve.

KBforester

I changed the fuel filter (tank).. .no luck there. The guy said he "cleaned" the carb. But I'll ask him specifically about that other filter.
Trees are good.

JohnG28

Often just cleaning the carb doesn't help, have to replace the inner parts, diaphragm and gaskets, strainer  (screen filter inside carb) to get it running right.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

How old is the saw, serial number? Have you checked the fuel lines and impulse? Tank vent?
Information collector.

KBforester

Can't see anything wrong with the impulse or fuel lines. Are you suggesting they could be clogged? Or leaking?

Is a tank vent and a fuel filter the same thing? If it is, its brand-new and clean.

year: 2012
SN:2000087
965 16 76-00

I haven't even cut 20 cords with it yet.
Trees are good.

sablatnic

The fuel line could be kinked between the tank and the carburettor.

When I mentioned the mesh filter in the carburettor, it was because I have seen several saws with that filter clogged by dust, fine enough to pass through the tank filter. It would give same symptoms as your saw, but a kinked fuel line would do the same.

SawTroll

Quote from: KBforester on May 03, 2015, 12:15:39 PM

Is a tank vent and a fuel filter the same thing? If it is, its brand-new and clean.

No, it is not the same thing. The tank vent is to let air into the tank, as the fuel level goes down. If it is clogged, running the saw will create vacuum in the tank, and the engine will not get the correct amount of fuel. It will stop after a while, and will not restart unless you let air into the tank by opening the cap.
Information collector.

KBforester

Trees are good.

HolmenTree

From working on my 346 those saws have a mess of fuel , vent and primer lines. They tend to soften up and get loose connections  especially  at the primer bulb.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

barbender

When my 346xp was doing the same thing, the tank vent was plugged with bar oil/sawdust.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!