iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil MS 180 saw hard starting

Started by Ivan49, February 12, 2018, 07:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan49

I have a Sthil Ms 180 saw and it is hard to start. I took it in and they cleaned the carb and it still was hard to start but did start. I used it yesterday and shut it off now it won't start. Runs good when it runs. Any ideas

dougand3

After you try 5-10 pulls and it doesn't start...pull the spark plug and examine. Wet or Dry? Then reattach plug, ground on cylinder and pull rope. Good spark?
Pull muffler and look at piston. Scoring?
Try a new carb. They are $8 online. Cheap diagnostic test.
I'd be concerned that I took the saw to a shop and it was roughly the same when I got it back.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Ivan49

Quote from: dougand3 on February 12, 2018, 08:55:27 PM
After you try 5-10 pulls and it doesn't start...pull the spark plug and examine. Wet or Dry? Then reattach plug, ground on cylinder and pull rope. Good spark?
Pull muffler and look at piston. Scoring?
Try a new carb. They are $8 online. Cheap diagnostic test.
I'd be concerned that I took the saw to a shop and it was roughly the same when I got it back.
The saw would have went back if I had tried it right away but it was weeks after I got it back so that is my fault. I will never take anything there again. This saw does not have many hours on it as I used it as a trim saw on my sawmill. I put a new plug in but maybe it had gas in cyl which I did not think about Thanks I will give it a try

Thank You Sponsors!