iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wherezit???

Started by Dodgy Loner, April 13, 2009, 03:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

We've had a lot of whatzit games on here where someone posted pictures on an unidentified plant and we guessed what they were.  I travelled to two of the finest old growth forests in the eastern U.S. in the past week, so in this edition, I'll tell you what the trees are and you have to guess where they are.  Good luck :)

This site contained many old loblolly pines that were easily accessible.  I need to get back there with a kayak to really explore the place...

The second site was full of yellow-poplars that exceeded any expectations I could have had for the place.  It used to hold a bounty of old hemlocks as well, but they've been mostly skeletonized by the HWAs.  A few living ones survived here and there.

OK, I couldn't let you out of here without identifying at least one tree.  Here's a big, burled whatzit from site #2:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Well got no idea on the place on a map. But I'm guessing a hard pine, like slash pine, for the burled tree.

Some pretty impressive trees there. Your quite the acrobat to. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

By enhancing the photo and looking at the other local flora and fauna, I'd have to take a wild stab and say that the Loblolly could be in the Congaree National Park.

The big yellow Poplars, by looking at the bark patterns, sun and shadow positions in the photo, and knowing about the time of year by the growth height of the foreground vegetation (Red Trillium I believe), gives me a Lat lon guess, which could put you no where else other then the Joyce Kilmer memorial Forest.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

I'm going to be pretty amazed if that's where it is.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

:D :D

How many hairs on a hind leg of a flea Jeff? ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I would need to know if it was one of yours or one of your kitty cat's to help narrow down the 2000 species of fleas.

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Good work Jeff, you the man. That's the exact two trees on the memorial website. ;D

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Sure a good candidate with the burls on the base and the one the guy has his hand on.

WDH

I am with Jeff on the locations.  Is the burl tree a big ole virginia pine  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That was my second "ponderance" WDH, but I have never seen really big Virgina Pine. The bark sure reminds me of old jack pine bark though, which is similar to Virginian.

WDH

It might be pitch pine  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nice trees.But what I don't understand,is where are the other big ones?I see one great big tree,but no others that even come close to that size.I am comparing it to the woods in my area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

Jeff is right on both counts.  Impressive photo-enhancing abilities :D :D.  Both of the pines (loblolly) are at Congaree Swamp National Park, just outside Colombia, SC.  The yellow-poplars are at Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest near Robbinsville, NC.  I would strongly encourage you to visit both places if you are ever near them (or even if you aren't near them...)

WDH: you are in the wrong division with your guesses for the burled tree.  It is not a gymnosperm :)  Here's another picture that probably won't help:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on April 14, 2009, 09:28:06 AM
Jeff is right on both counts.  Impressive photo-enhancing abilities :D :D.  Both of the pines (loblolly) are at Congaree Swamp National Park, just outside Colombia, SC.  The yellow-poplars are at Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest near Robbinsville, NC.  I would strongly encourage you to visit both places if you are ever near them (or even if you aren't near them...)

WDH: you are in the wrong division with your guesses for the burled tree.  It is not a gymnosperm :)  Here's another picture that probably won't help:

Unbelievable! ;D

I ride through the Kilmer park all the time guess I better pay attention more
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Sure looks like pine bark and burl to me.  In fact if it were jack, I'd blame it on sweet fern blister rust. :D :D

WDH

My first thought was elm, but I did not go with it.  Probably not an elm.  My other impression is silver bell, Halesia, but I not ever seen one nearly that big :).

Lanier_Lurker

Dodgy, the old tree book I showed you a few weeks ago claims that yellow poplar can reach 12ft in diameter.  I wonder if that is really true.  I guess if they are not logged for 200 years...    I have several yellow poplars that have really good form and are already 3ft in diameter.  I would love to see what they look like in another 50 years.

(Casie seems to be enjoying herself)

Got several of the walnuts potted in 30" deep Treepots - and planted another.  All but one are budding out nicely.  I also gave a few of them away.  Got half of the butternuts in germination bins (sealed to keep the marauding squirrels out), but none of them have popped yet.

You will have to post some pictures of the persimmon orchard.   :)

I also hope the shumard acorns have found good homes.

Oh, nice poses too.  The first one looks like the FTD Florist man.    :D

Dodgy Loner

WDH - You got it with your last guess.  It is a Carolina silverbell (Halesia carolina).  It's one of the largest I've ever seen, but I was really impressed by the proliferation of burls on the trunk.  The wood turner in me was envisioning the georgeous bowls that I could make, but the conservationist in me was slapping the wood turner.  I felt torn :D :D :D

LL - I've started to plant out some of the trees you gave me, but I'm saving most of them to plant at my dad's house.  I'll be down there this weekend.  I might not be living in my house in another 5 years, but he probably will be...  I put quite a few of the shumard acorns in the ground at my house, but I may be doing a better job of feeding the squirrels than growing trees ::).  I gave two bags the the fellow with all the sawtooths so hopefully he'll have better luck than I am.  The rest will be divied up at my dad and grandad's places.

WDH

Good old Halesia.  That bark is distinctive (remember, I am a bark man ;D).  I should have seen it right off  :).

LL,  my little seedlings have been transplanted and they are doing fine!  I had a big hickory get trashed by Hurricane Ivan (maybe it was Jeane  ???), and they have taken up residence up in that hole.  As you probably remember, there are not many holes in the canopy around my place.   I put the pignut seedling right in the stump hole of the old pignut that got blown over.  That seemed appropriate 8).  I think that the cats got the northern red when they knocked the container off the back porch, but the little shumard and scarlet look happy in their new home.  The little scarlet should feel at home since there are a number of them on my place (about as south as they naturally grow).  You were kind to give them to me, and when I go check on them, I think about your visit.  Isn't the Forum great 8).  Without it,  I would never had met you and got those precious little seedlings!

Lanier_Lurker

WDH, sorry to hear about the northern red, but good news: I rescued several northern red seedling from the neighbor's flower bed a couple of months ago and got them potted while still dormant.  They are now looking quite happy in their 30" deep Treepots.  It is a certainty that I will be passing through on the way to Leesburg again before next fall.  Consider them yours.  Good news on the other little trees also!  (I think the hickory I gave you may be a mockernut). And yes, I remember how tight the canopy was at your place.  My place is very similar, just with more undergrowth.  I wish I could get you some sourwood to grow in the understory, but they are difficult.

Dodgy, those gray squirrels can really ruin things when it comes to nut tree propagation.  They destroyed 5 of my best 1 year old mockernut seedlings that I recently re-potted into larger containers.  All traces of the seed/nut were gone, including the husks, and they still got them.  Gotta have some way to protect them.  I hope the fellow with the sawtooths was happy to get the shumard acorns, and that he has some success actually making some trees from them.

Thank You Sponsors!