iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Started by Peter Drouin, November 26, 2016, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Do we all have them now? Will someone win something that has the most Likes?  ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Yes,a free membership to the Forestry Forum.  :D   :D    :D       8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Y'all have been clamoring for a Like button and Jeff has provided!  But...what does it do?

Edit:  Ahh, I see how it is tallying up now.  But nobody likes me right now... :'(
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dave Shepard

Is there a Don't Like Button for the Like Button?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Dave... you got a like for a don't like the like post, I can't keep up

Dave Shepard

Yeah, I'm not sure why we need a like button. People can go over to Facebook and do all the liking they want.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

Yeah, and we got stuff that Facebook doesn't have!  "LIKE"  Yooper Night! ;)

Jeff

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 26, 2016, 07:04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why we need a like button. People can go over to Facebook and do all the liking they want.  ;)

We don't need a like button, that is true, however when some of my favorite people, namely a pair of Tammys would like to have one, (Tamiam and Wildflower)   I'm afraid they win over you bruisers. :D

Well give it a try for awhile and see how it goes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

I'm thinkin' "Like" that's a good idea. :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bill m

I think it is a good idea. Many times I read a comment and was going to hit the "like" button and realized "oh yea, there isn't one here, this isn't facebook. I really don't want to fill up the thread with comments that I agree with what someone else just said.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

barbender

Quote from: Jeff on November 26, 2016, 07:21:27 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 26, 2016, 07:04:59 PM

We don't need a like button, that is true, however when some of my favorite people, namely a pair of Tammys would like to have one, (Tamiam and Wildflower)   I'm afraid they win over you bruisers. :D

Well give it a try for awhile and see how it goes.

I remember when this topic came up awhile ago, Jeff, and if memory serves me right you came down along the lines of "take the time to write a response, go to FB if you want a 'like' button!" I see you've changed your tune now that those ladies are after you! ;D ;)
Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

I'm not really a fan of it. I think it will tend to cut down on the real discussion. The quantity of likes is not an indication of the quality of the post. Once I had been on the FF for a while, I realized I was more interested in who was doing the commenting and what they said, rather than how many people would click like. I think we have a poll function, if you really want to know how the numbers stack up, don't we?

If the like function serves some other purpose for the forum (like driving up clicks to help please forum sponsors or something?) I don't have a problem with it, but I don't see that it really adds to the conversation. I fall more in Jeff's original stance of ""take the time to write a response, go to FB if you want a 'like' button!" (at least as Barbender paraphrased it).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

I agree with the above two Replies.  The written word communicates.  If someone agrees or disagrees we have the basics for a conversation.  I very rarely used the common "X2" because it simply agrees but does not communicate.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You know me,I have to say something if I like what has been posted.  ;D
I will keep posting a few words.

I saw the like at work.
On this dinosaur computer I can't see the Like button. I tried to clear things out and delete and refresh and reboot. The Show Like notifications don't work either. I know it's on my end,blame it on my Vista?

Have to keep the people close to you happy. Like I use to say at work,Don't matter to me,I don't go home with them.  :D
Guess I will do my liking at work.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

MagicMan - I liken the x2 comment as a simple nod when you're looked at for an opinion.  As in, "Do you agree with what so and so said?"  Then you nod.  Sometimes nothing has to be said.  Am I looking at this wrong?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

Sometimes things need to stay the same, sometimes things need to change. Staying the same as everything moves past you can do one of two things. Make you a haven, or make you a dinosaur.
You can sit and speculate until the stegasourus come home, or, give something new a chance. I would just as soon not hear or see the speculation, but surely urge anyone to give me instances where you see actual detriment being done to our Forestry Forum as well as a any benefit.

One thing I am hoping for in this, is a way for a lot of our members that rarely post to be an active part of the forum in a different way.
You can tell I don't go into this lightly simply because I tapped this dang post out on a phone while sitting in a Walmart parking lot waiting for Tammy to get milk.

thecfarm

rjwoelk

Sorry mm I just liked what  you said.
Hum I just thought the thumbs up was the symbol for like. Ok I think I would like to get off the topic. But not sure. This could roll on for a while.lol
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

John Mc

Sorry for the "speculation", Jeff. I thought I remembered the last time you were considering this that you asked for opinions and feedback (though I admit my memory is not what it once was).

My comment was based on experiences on other sites: meaningful comments tended to drop off when people thought they were making a contribution by simply "liking" something. Posts got made that were just an attempt to draw likes. Those sites were very different than the FF to start with, however. Hopefully, the downsides won't happen here.

I'll shut up about this now.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

Certainly something we need to watch for and if I have blinders on, I'll want to be made aware of it.

bill m

I have never added to a thread with an "X2" and don't think I ever will. The "like" button accomplishes this with out adding another "X2"reply that really does not add anything to the thread. Just MHO.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

4x4American

Well maybe instead of a like button, change it to an Aye Aye button, eh?
Boy, back in my day..

John Mc

Quote from: bill m on November 27, 2016, 08:20:42 PM
I have never added to a thread with an "X2" and don't think I ever will. The "like" button accomplishes this with out adding another "X2"reply that really does not add anything to the thread. Just MHO.

I hadn't thought of that. If it improves the "signal to noise ratio", that's an upside. I haven't figured out yet if a "like" generates a notification on threads to which I subscribe. I hope not.

{EDIT} Oops, I keep forgetting I said I was going to shut up now... Time to let this play out a bit and see how it goes.

4x4American

When BeenThere comes back from hiatus he's gonna be shocked at all the new things
Boy, back in my day..