iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tree in river need to pull out

Started by Daver, September 01, 2014, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daver

Hi Guys I need some advice on getting a tree out of a river near my house..I plan on cutting it as I pull it out of the river... I have been trying to remove it with two come-a-longs but it seems they are not powerful enough.. I am not a logger and have no big equipment to pull it out of the river.. Is there a electric powered wench I could buy that would do the job? Or would that be expensive if its not too costly could you point me in the right direction? I basically have two home depot come-a-longs but they are limited.. Or are there bigger come-a-longs out there?

Anyway would appreciate the advice..
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

Ianab

Tirfor or Griphoist are a heavy duty hand winch. Will lift several tons depending on the model, and are only limited by the length of the rope you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SeURUEodV4
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Daver

Thanks but they are a little out of my budget.. maybe though I could rent one..

goose63

Daver harbor fright has a 12,000 pound off road winch its a badland winch on sale to day is last day $299. I bought one to make a DanG loader like sawyer browns
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

Minimum you will need cable or chain strong enough to do the job. If cable, then rigging some cable pulleys to gain mechanical advantage is a good way to go. Slow but sure.

But cables and pulleys are minimum for expense. There is no free lunch.

What is this tree in the river worth in wood? Or is it worth something just to clean out the river? Or.. ?? 

Another thought, hire a wrecker truck to come in and move it for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clearcut

Trees in rivers provide habitat structure for many aquatic creatures. Consider leaving it in place for wildlife value.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Daver

Well normally I would leave the tree for wild habitat.. the only problem is upstream there is a bridge and people are constantly littering and it is building up at the tree it's starting to really look bad.. So I figured removing the tree is better.. 

Goose Great winch except my little truck would get pulled into the river  :D    might even have a hard time holding it up..  ;)   

looks like need stronger come alongs and cables..

I was tempted to go in and cut the tree somehow with the saw but it just seems too risky.. rather pull it on land..

BargeMonkey

You cant go down and at least cut it into smaller pieces before you pull it ? Cut it into 40 pieces and wish it luck ?

lopet

Assuming it's on private property, winching it out seems to be the right thing to do and the safest , I think.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

I would think that tree would be much heaver than a tree that grew away from all that water.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Daver

You're correct.. It seems awful heavy.. I may take the canoe and at least cut it in thirds at least the biggest part.. If I can cut from the canoe that is. I'll do it safely.. whatever I'll do..

thecfarm

Years ago I cut plastic water pipe with a chainsaw,full of water. We laid the pipe,starting at the bottom of the hill and worked our way up. When it rained,water would fill the pipe up. Don't baby the thottle,wide open,all the time. I babied it and the chain stopped. I was about 20 than. The guy told me,run that thing hard,don't let up on it. Worked just fine after he told me how to run it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luvmexfood

Quote from: goose63 on September 01, 2014, 04:27:21 PM
Daver harbor fright has a 12,000 pound off road winch its a badland winch on sale to day is last day $299. I bought one to make a DanG loader like sawyer browns

I have one of those winches and it is stout. If you didn't do yourself a big favor and order the wireless remote. Saves many steps.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

BargeMonkey

Dynamite ???  :D.  We have a " dynamite wedge" at home for splitting the big stuff, more of a show piece than anything else, but its something to watch when you split a 17', 4' across hemlock in half with it.

beenthere

Careful, as they might accuse you of fishing...  ::)    ;D

QuoteIf I can cut from the canoe that is.
Now that sounds like a "here, hold my beer" moment.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

You won't slide your truck into the river if it is firmly anchored to another large tree. Just be careful not to rip it in half (the truck, that is). At least if you do that get it for a redneck youtube.  ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Joat

or just use a bow saw and canoe to remove the offending limbs that catch the debris.....

cleans up the eyesore and gives you time to plan your main attack later.
just starting my second childhood.

luvmexfood

I like the wrecker idea. Unless you have some road construction going on close by that has a big piece of equipment on it. Sometimes the right foreman will send it over if they have slack time. Few pizza's at lunch and the cheapest money you ever spent.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!