iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plywood market

Started by jim king, June 19, 2007, 11:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

We are very seriously considering getting into plywood production to compliment our KD S4S lumber for the kitchen cabinet industry.  The only problem is that I really know nothing about this market or pricing.  Our wood is accepted very well by everyone who sees it so it seems a logical step. 

Hard to believe but Google has failed me and I come up with no information on pricing for tropical plywood.  As an example can someone give me an idea of pricing for 9 ply 3/4 inch 4 x 8 sheets of plywood with double face of woods like these.  It would have thick sliced facing so as to not have any sanding thru the veneer problem if it were to get scratched in the building process.

JimBuis

Jim,
I cannot speak with great authority, but I can say that after having lived a total of ten years in Tokyo, Japan and having bought a lot of plywood I have never seen anything as beautiful as that............in plywood form.

I'm guessing that the reason you are not finding tropical plywoods offering such beauty is that you are about to create a new market.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

isawlogs

I have not seen plywood that nice either , I have gone through a lot of plywood ... My sugestion would be to find the most expensive .. and double it . You would have a good starting point .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

I'm not real sure your plywood will look anything close to what you are seeing in your turnings, but I could be wrong. :)

Ron Wenrich

What are your processing plans?  It seems that making plywood would be a lot different than making turning blanks or lumber.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jim king

I have access to a 6000 cubic meter a month plywood factory that has a  10 foot cant slicer for the face and back material and the center layers will be rotary cut.  We have done the testing concerning boiling the cants a minimum of 15 days and the sliced veneer comes out perfect on several of our best species as the ones shown.  That was the crucial test.  Now the glue up, pressing and sanding is elemental.

As the face material is sliced from square or rectangular cants it comes off looking just like the boards we cut from the same species so we know the look it will have.  Plus the material we have sliced looks fantastic.

isawlogs

Sure would not mind seeing a pic of those plywoods , ifin you have time to take um and post um .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jim king

isawlogs:  You can be assured I will post photos when we get things going.  The first thing we have to do is build boiling tanks as we did the testing in a couple of welded up 55 gallon drums and that is not the way to get the production we need I can verify that.

Don_Papenburg

How soon can you get the sample bunk to central Illinois ?  As I am fairly central  in the USA  this would be a good test .  If you could make some with  a good side and a low grade backer that would be nice for paneling .  How thick is your veneer ?  What is that wood that you pictured  . What would be good is if you could produce and sell it to FF members for $90 .oo or less a 4x8 sheet.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ron Wenrich

That mill capacity is pretty high.  6000 cu meter/month comes up to a capacity of about 2.5 MMbf.  That's a lot of wood.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don_Papenburg

Just wanted to bump this up .  I would like some good ply with caricter
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!