iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seasoned firewood stockpile

Started by bull, October 27, 2005, 03:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

We should be out of seasoned firewood forsale this weekend....   anyone else in this situatuin.
Will have emergency supply of about 5 cords available for $300.00 a cord.....
Now its time to get the 5 cords i need for the winter into the house.
Starting on a pile of soft maple and ash for customers that run out late winter early spring..
I wish people would start thinking about thier firewood in may and order it for September delivery.

old3dogg

Sounds like you need a fire wood kiln. As long as you have enough raw material around?

Sawyerfortyish

I'll be out by the end of november and I had about 25 loads on my picker truck. I thought I would at least make it into january :o. Nobody wants to take no for an answer now  >:(. But when your out your out.

ohsoloco

I didn't manage to get any extra firewood to sell this year, got about five cords for myself.  One ad that's been running in the local Bargain Sheet first had mixed hardwood, oak, and barkless oak.  Last week the barkless oak wasn't in the ad, and this week the oak isn't either.  Saw one ad for green oak, and a "want ad" for a triaxle of oak firewood  :-\

Coon

I myself am DanG near out of firewood for sale right now also BUT............ there's only one cure for that......  Fire up  Old Jonny Red.   I have sold over 60 cords of firewood so far this fall and I can expect to sell twice that amout yet (That's if I can get it out and cut up.)   Alot of the firewood is cut up to 4ft long so it don't take long to cut. ;D  Prices are up as well due to the fact of the natural gas prices jumping up 27% beginning Nov 1/05.   Atleast the prices didn't go up like SaskEnergy wanted them to.  They wanted a 41% increase but the provincial gov't said NO and only approved for a 27% increase.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

old3dogg

Our NATURAL gas went up 50%. No one seems to know why. All we can figure is that the gas company all got brand new 2005 Chevy trucks to drive around in. It aint like NATURAL gas comes from the gulf states and has to be refined?

Screw em! Im burning lots of free fire wood this year! Let some one else pay to put thier kids through collage!

Its 40 outside right now and the old wood burner has it about 75 in here! ;D

Furby

Natural gas does indeed come from the gulf states.

old3dogg

Some, but not all. There is a lot of natural gas here in PA.
Even if it does come from the gulf states it doesnt need refined. Ya bring it out of the ground and burn it. Why do "they" feel they have to raise the price of natural gas because the price of crude oil goes up?
Its ripping off the working class at its finest.

SwampDonkey

About 20 % of the North American market for natural gas is produced in Alberta. Alberta supplies 90 % of Canada's needs and 90 % of the USA's imported natural gas comes from Alberta (about 20 % of US consumption). They are drilling another 25,000 plus wells in Alberta next year and have been going full steam drilling and exploring the last 5 years. The national (Canadian) pipeline runs from eastern Alberta to Montreal.

http://www.energy.gov.ab.ca/1554.asp
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

old3dogg

So why is the price going up?
GREED!?

SwampDonkey

On the Canadian news they call the Canadian dollar the gas dollar because of the big boom. There is cut throat competition out there for workers as well. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

old3dogg, when those hurricanes hit you folks our gasoline (not natural) almost doubled and we don't even get it down there. The largest Canadian oil refinery is only 120 miles away. It has way more capacity than New Brunswick ever burns.  ::)

old3dogg

Like I said.
GREED!
What are ya gonna do?
Burn more fire wood!

"They" were talking about banning those outside wood stoves around here? "They" say that those wood burners are polluting the air.

I think that "they" are on the take with the gas company.

SwampDonkey

I'de burn wood in winter, even if stove oil was cheep. I like to live comfy warm, not cool and clamy. They'de never ban firewood burning here, in fact they encourage it. You don't see many heat pumps here. I know people in there 70's and 80's that still handle wood.

old3dogg

I would love to see more people use wood for heat and hot water.
Its just to bad that some cant afford to convert.
Wood is a warm, safe, cheap way to heat.

bull

The guys that i get my firewood from put up  1000 cords of cut and split 16-18 inch  mixed hardwood !
they are now pocessing 2 year old logs .. to start next years wood..

Part_Timer

We're starting on next years supply in a couple of weeks.  We have a Osage Orange fence row that a neighbor wants completly out this year.  Most of it is to small for the mill so firewood it is.   If everything goes right I'll be selling fire wood next year also.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Blake22

I've got plenty of fat lighter that'll make that green wood burn. How much ya'll want? smiley_chop smiley_chop
Blake

spencerhenry

i have alot of wood left, sold about 40% of my supply so far. but i cannot get people to buy it before it snows. they wait until this weekend when it snowed friday and saturday, now the phone is ringing off the hook. tried to tell them winter was coming, apparrenly they didnt believe it until they saw it. now the wood has been rained and snowed on for 3 days, the buyers say " its all wet". they think i store 150 cords inside? wood prices around here really havnt changed, but there are more people selling firewood all the time.

DouginUtah

Speaking of procrastinators....

http://www.agatelady.com/Story_Corner.htm#FredBell

As I read this "blog" (journal/diary) I first thought of Chet (in the U.P.), then I thought, Why did this guy wait until the middle of winter to cut his firewood? I can't imagine what this guy did all day.

What am I missing? Why didn't he keep a fire going all day? No doubt about it though, those were hard, hard times.

-Doug

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Ed_K

I have about 5 cords left. sold 65 cords and could have sold triple that. I really wish I had a dry kiln. Can't stand sitting on wood for a yr. The problem with a dry kiln is firing it, don't want to pay the oil or gas bill, and if you use an outdoor boiler the neighbors and town fire dept complain.
B.I.L just put in a new replacement outdoor boiler, fired it up and within two days the fire dept showed up for a complaint of smoke. Now the old one has smoked the same way for 11 yrs, you'd think they'd be used to it.
Its not like we live in town either. Dan'g outsiders need to move back where they usta be.
Ed K

Sawyerfortyish

Spencerhenry it seems that no matter where you are people are the same. They wait til it's snowing and there throwing the last stick on the fire before they call. It makes me wonder if they wait til there using the last sheet of toilet paper before they buy more ::) (Sometimes i'll ask them that) ;D

Corley5

While I'm waiting for my Block Buster to be delivered (sometime the 1st of Dec) I've been watching the firewood ads very closely ;).  Going rate around here is 50 to 55 dollars a 16" face cord cut split and delivered.  Green is going for 45 bucks a face cord.  There was an add in one shopper paper that had it at 40 bucks for seasoned cut split and delivered.  They must need cash fast ::)  Probably won't see that ad again.  Many of these classifieds only appear for a week two at the most.  Either they run out of product or get too many orders. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sawyerfortyish

Corley set your price higher than you think it should be and you'll still sell all you have. I sold to much to early to cheap. Now everybody is out and who ever has wood now can name there price.

SwampDonkey

My uncle said the neighbors used to cut it green in the winter and haul it in on hand sleds. They'd eventually get a fire going and place more green wood covered in snow in the oven to dry. They never even had a woodshed, if there was any amount of wood it was out in the snow bank all winter. He said they never had any one stove long because they'de rust out with the melting snow running out of the oven all over the floor.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!