iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pam Anderson

Started by Texas Ranger, September 09, 2004, 08:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

I don't know, it was just the image.

Actress Pam Anderson lends image to help chickens

Actress Pamela Anderson, always game to ruffle a few feathers in the name of mistreated fowl, has lent her famous face to a billboard campaign calling for a boycott of the KFC chain of chicken restaurants.
http://www.enn.com/news/2004-09-09/s_27026.asp
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

slowzuki

Hmm, I'm guessing she's never picked chickens! She'd want a few of em dead then! :D

I am curious, I've only seen chickens killed by bopping their heads or chopping em off.  What do they do in the slaughter houses?  They're kill them first wouldn't they?

Jeff

I would imagine this comes on the heals of the video shot at one of KFC's supplyers that was on the national news a couple 3 weeks ago. That company should be shut down. (not KFC, but the supplier)  If you never saw the video it is rather horrific as employees "Hop Scotch" jump through chickens, stomping on them as they go, throwing live chickens at walls like a baseball and other awful stuff.

I am not an animal rights activist but I am human and what those guys were doing was inhuman. They deserved to lose their jobs go to jail and the company punished.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Uhhhh, somebody got that PETA thing wrong. It means People Eating Tasty Animals.  ;D ;D ;D

Gotta agree wit da boss. Did not see the video, but, have seen the operations in other places. Barbaric.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

On the other hand, a guy just got arrested down here for shooting some puppies that he couldn't get rid of. He had tried to give them away, to no avail, so, being unable to keep them all he shot them. :'(  Now that's an awful shame, BUT, if he had taken them to the "shelter" they would have been tortured with medical exams, then confined in small cages for days, then executed!  To me, his way was much kinder, but he is being charged with felony animal cruelty. :o

I didn't see the chicken vid either, but the image I have makes my blood boil. Wonder what punishment those guys got?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodcarver

I saw some of the video on a TV news program. It was disgusting.  

My father had a small general trucking business when I was growing up.  One of his customers was a large broiler growing operation. He hauled chickens to a processing plant when they were ready for butchering. I earned pocket money by helping to catch the chickens and load the truck and rode with my dad to the processing plant to help unload the truck at the processing plant.

The chickens were placed in cages for the trip.  At the plant they were removed from the cages one at a time and killed as humanely as possible.  It was another time and place, but I never saw anything of the nature of what was shown in the video.  

The employees in that video not only needed to be fired, they needed psychological counseling. As for the people in PETA, I think they are byond counseling of any kind.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Norm

I don't believe in being cruel to animals but lets be real about these things, felony charges for shooting these pups. That's just gone too far.

As far as the video I don't believe anything that Peta's been involved in, nor Pam Anderson for that matter. They have no credibility with me.

Jeff

I think the guy already got his punishment. On the news up here it says he was found out because one of the two remaining pups in his arms pulled the trigger on his gun shooting him in the side.

Jeff

Bro. Noble

It's a good thing I read all the replies before I made my reply.  I was about to agree with Pam-----I would be pithed at KFC if they treated dogs and cats like chickens too. :o :o   But I was thinking the secret herbs and spices :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

I didn't pay alot of attention to that news about the puppies, I was busy with other stuff at the time. Anyway, I thought it was unfortunate that the guy got charged over putting the puppies down. It later said he got to keep the female dog that had the pups. Grandfather used to have to 'cleanup' on the barn cats once in awhile, they were gettin a little over populated. He thought he was acting humane in the process. Never bothered me about what had to be done. My uncle would kind of feel bad about it cause he didn't like to kill animals, domestic or wild. He was never a hunter, but his two brothers were and grandfather too.

I remember staying at a neighbors house when I was 5 and 6 years old, during crop harvest. The old man would go get a chicken when desired from the pen and place its head between bent nails on a chop block and it was like the Queen of Hearts, 'off with its head'. My brother and I always had to go after the darn things in the burdock patch, because the old fart would let them run. My grandmother told me afterwards, when I told her about what they did, that let'n them run like that bruises the meat and she never done that.

Reminds me of another chicken story.....:D

My grand parents had camps deep in the woods for guiding and it was a days drive to them from home in those days. Roads were in poor shape. Well grand mother was packing up some food for the weeks stay at the camp. She asked a friend, whose husband was a guide for grandfather, to bring some chicken. Well when they got to the camp and grandmother seen what the other lady brought for chicken, she just could imagine what she was witnessing. Here they are way out in the bush and the lady brings them dang chickens live on the hoof. :D Well, you know why. The lady wasn't gonna do the butcherin and pluckin. Of course grandmother had to do it. She wasn't very impressed with the other lady at all. Grandmother told me this other lady was notorius for those stunts. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

A friend of mine had a little brother who had the responsibility of keeping the cat population down at the farm.  Before he started there were 50 cats all strange from inbreeding. :-/

Seems cruel but to put them down is like 80$ ea, .22 shells are much cheaper when you're a poor farmer.

Cedarman

I have not seen the video. Companies look at chickens as profit. Why would they knowingly allow someone to damage their source of money? Would peta stage a film such as this?
Who stands to gain? I would like to know a whole lot more to be sure of the credibility of a story such as this. Peta has an agenda and will do anything to achieve their goals IMHO. Have there been any follow ups on this?

On another note I had a German Shepard that had cancer and had to be put down. I talked to the Vet about it. He said candidly that using a bullet to the brain is just as quick and painless as giving an injection. Maybe some of you think it heartless of me to do it myself, I felt that it was my responsibilty.  I grew up on a farm and we were raised to accept responsibility for the wellbeing of our animals. We wouldn't think of dumping an unwanted animal or having someone else put an animal down. Also, I understand the emotional attachment  one can have for a pet.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!