iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Baker Mills Out There?

Started by thiggy, November 14, 2005, 11:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiggy

A few weeks ago I purchased a Baker 18M sawmill and am wondering if any of you folks have the same machine, as I have a question about it.  I removed the axle assembly for sawing this week-end, and did not notice until I was preparing to re-install it prior to towing that the axle is not centered from front to rear on the axle frame, but about 2" off center.  In looking at the owner's manual, I was unable to determine how it should be installed, as it will physically fit either way.  My question is should the spring shackles face the rear of the saw, or toward the tongue end?  I was also wanting to know the proper lubrication for the machine.  My manual refers me to the "daily maintenance sheet".  Unfortunately I do not have such a sheet in my material that came with the 18M.  You may ask "why not call the manufacturer?".  Well, I did that and was advised that the Ontario firm which was making these sawmills has closed up shop and all of their stock has been shipped to Baker in Ellington, Mo.  Unfortunately, no one in Mo. is familiar with that mill and could not answer my questions. Neither could the technician with whom I spoke tell me if they would continue to support the sawmill.  I fear that I may have purchased an expensive orphan!!  Is there anyone who can shed some light on my problems?  Thanks :-[
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Tom_in_Mo.

thiggy

I will give you a call on this matter. It is true that we have closed recently and moved operation to our Plant in Mo.
Mike Mcnail (CEO) stated , The move to our home office allows us to gain better control of the manufacturing and emable us to make changes to keep us on the cutting edge of technology. This move will also enable us to take full advantage of the state-of-the-art equipment at ouir Missouri plant We currently run two lasers and several CNC mills to ensure that our equipment is comprised of only quality , precision cut parts.
We are currently in the process of establishing a dealer network in Ontario to continue serving our valued Canadian customer in the best possible manner.

Jeff

Thanks Tom! That took less then 5 minutes from the time I sent you the thread.

Tom is a good man thiggy and I am sure he'll get things figured out for you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff B on November 14, 2005, 11:50:09 AM
Thanks Tom! That took less then 5 minutes from the time I sent you the thread.

Tom is a good man thiggy and I am sure he'll get things figured out for you.

And!  It's deer season!  Tom-in-mo must have already tagged out.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom_in_Mo.

Yeah, Bibby I score yesterday morning. A nice little 7pt. buck. My boy killed a buck Saturday morning. His should have been a 8pt but one side had been broken off.
Now I just set back and wait for the black powder season to kick in and use my farm tags. My wife came in upset last night after missing a big buck, which she very seldom does. In other words I sure wouldn't want her shooting at me, but that buck sure got lucky.

thiggy

D._Frederick

Thiggy,

I can answer one part of your question, the spring shackles on your trailer should face away from the tonque. That way the springs are pulling the axle along, if mounted the other way, if you hit a bump the springs could bend.

esteadle

Just something I wanted to mention about how I do maintenance on my mill.

The first thing I did when I got my timber harvester mill was use my digital camera to take pictures of every thing I thought I might need in order to reference later when I needed it. Often, if I have the opportunity, I'll take pictures of things as I'm taking them apart. That way, if I put it back together, and have too many parts left over, I know where the extras should have goneĀ  ;D I imagine that if you'd had a picture to refer to, you'd have had that axle assembly back on in a jiffy.

I got a set of engineering drawings with my mill, but they're not sufficiently detailed to help all that much. There are few part numbers, and very little is labeled.

On the other hand, and this might help all you guys who have Kohler engines on your mills, the Kohler guys do an OUTSTANDING job on their parts lists and service manuals. I just discovered this website the other day:

http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp

If you click on the "Enter as Guest" button, you don't need to register, and you can look up part numbers and get a full parts list of each subassembly of the engine. Alot of times there's an exploded view diagram of the subassembly too. And you can download a "PDF" of the service manual (which has a lot more detail than the owner's manual).

ERX

thiggy

I want to give an update on my post from yesterday about my concerns with my Baker sawmill.  As you see above, Tom from Baker replied promptly, indicating that he would call me.  He called my home three times yesterday, speaking with my wife once, but missing me.  This morning Mike McNail, CEO of Baker called me at work.  He assured me that my 18M sawmill was not an orphan, but would continued to be manufactured in their Mo. facility rather than in Ontario.  They will still provide support and parts.  Mike also answered my specific questions concerning my mill.  I am impressed with the customer service from this company!  Thanks, Mike.  (BTW, D Frederick, you were correct concerning the spring shackle orientation.)

Fred

I also just recently bought a baker 18m Very good mill .They had told me that they were moving the canada plant to missouri.
                                                     Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

Thank You Sponsors!