iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-classic performance test

Started by Hackberry, December 13, 2008, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackberry

I've been burnning the E-classic for nine days now.  Last Sat. I thought it would be a good Idea to start keeping track of how much wood I burn and the Heating degree days.  The degree days are from the Twin Cities and I'm in the country 30 miles from the cities and run 8-10 degrees colder at night.

This is what I'm heating

1536 square foot shop 10' side walls.  Temp. inside is 68
2250 square foot main floor house with lots of big glass.  Temp. inside is 78
2250 square foot walkout basement.  Temp. inside is 72
80 Gal. side arm water heater.  Five people showering daily.  Temp. set at 125
All the buildings are heated with in floor.  50 plate exchanger in the shop and a 70 plate exchanger in the house.
The coldest morning we had last week was -10.  Heating degree days for the week were 352.  I burning Siberian Elm that is cut and split like you would for a fireplace.  It is well seasoned wood.  I have crates that I stack the wood in and they each hold .25 of a cord.  Last week I burned 7/8th's of one cord.  This week I'm burning larger splits up to 18" and some rounds up to 8"  I think the larger wood will last longer.  I have not had any bridging of wood and only got a one gal. pail of powder ash. I load the stove every 12 hours.   If anyone likes I will continue to post my results.  Thanks for all the info. on this great site.  Hackberry. 

beenthere

Hackberry
Good info to have. Keep it up, if you have the endurance. Always enjoy more information.  ;D ;D

I don't know how you can stand 78° in the house, but not a problem for me.  :)
Anything over 72 and I'm peeling off clothes. 64° is bedroom temp.

How much dry wood do you have for burning this winter?

We like pics of your set-up and the crate system you use.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hackberry

Beenthere, The 78 is what the floor Temp is set at Act air Temp is 74. I love it and the family really like's it.  Last winter we had the main floor at 72 and with the insert burning the floors never cam on.  If it was not below 0 the air temp was 78 which drove everyone downstairs.  Gota love this burner.  P.S. I have about 25 cords ready to go for this season.  I will post some Pics. if someone can tell me how to do it. Thanks, Hackberry

beenthere

Hackberry
Sounds better  ;D ;D  I can put a shirt back on now.. :)

Pics posting...click on the help? button above and dive into the photo posting subject. Any questions, give a shout. 
Main idea for me is to resize the photo that you want to post first to 500 max pixels on longest side. After that, and not before, save it to least compression for a file size that fits below the max of around 35 KB.

This file size is much better for those who have dial-up, and even then they have to wait a long time to load them (I almost remember those days...crs you know!)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That's a good idea Hackberry.I have a Heatmor and I've been burning green white pine in it since the heating season really kicked in.This is wood that get cuts one week and burned a week later.I feel dead standing pine last longer than the green stuff does.Has to get the moisture out of it to make heat.I'm clearing out an old grown up pasture and this is all pasture pine as I call it. Goes up 8-10 feet than crotches out at least 2 times times.Than the 8-10 feet I just mentioned will probably have a sweep in it too.Was thinking about a load of pulp,but thought I would put it through the OWB.But it's better than putting it into the brush pile.I'm not keeping as good records as you,but I bet I burned 2 cords of pine all ready.We have had some temps in the single numbers but had some up in the 50's too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hackberry

Week two update.  It was colder this week with -15 and 374 Heating degree days, 22 more then last week.  I burned larger wood and it seems to have worked.  I did however, lower the temp. in the main floor to 76 and in the shop went to 66.  .75 of a cord burned this week.  I took some pics today of the cretes  and will post over Christmas.  Merry Christmas and stay warm, Hackberry

woodmills1

I bet I put a half cord in the last 2 days, but then I did som rough calculations on my heat loss and on our coldest windy days I bet my house demands 1/2 a cord(of pine) a day. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Hackberry

Week Three Update.  A colder week three -18 was the low, 40 was the high.  Gotta love Minnesota.  394 Degree Days 20 more then last week and 42 more then week one.  .75 cords burned this week.  I lowered the temp in the shop to 63. In doing a little math, looks like I'll burn 12-15 cords by May 1 which will be my last day burning.  I need to get my hands on some Red Oak.  I'm not able to get pics to the gallery yet, dial up stinks.  Happy New Year, Hackberry

Hackberry

I  finely got the pictures to post. These are the creat's I'm using.  They hold .25 of a cord when full.  And a picture of my wood shed.  Happy New Year,  Hackberry

beenthere

Hackberry
Thanks for the pics.

THAT is a very impressive woodshed.. WOW!!!

I be jealous. 
;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Radar67

What size is that building? Was it a greenhouse, or one of the agricultural hoop buildings?

My wife would never find me if I had one of those.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Hackberry

I am very sad to say it's a greehouse.  We used to grow tons of plants in their. Lots of $$$$ at one time but the Big Box stores with the crap they sell put us under in that part of our business plan.  Please buy local people from the small guys.  That's how America was built.  The building is 144' long and 30'wide.  It has roll up sides to vent and gets to 130 in the summer , lets me season wood in half the time.  I wish I was still growing plants in there.  But I have lots of dry wood!  Best of Luck Hackberry!

Hackberry

Week Four Update

Week four was much like week three. 391 degree days vs 394.  .75 of a cord Siberian Elm.  When I compare the heat values of Siberian Elm and Red Oak with the data I have I would only be burnning .55 of a cord of Red Oak vs .75 of Elm for the week.  Time to start scouting for Red Oak.  Go Vikes!!  Hackberry

wi woodcutter

Hackberry- great updates I'm looking at a E-Classic so this info is great.

I always try to buy local! I hate the big box stores! I'll drive 20 miles out of the way not to shop at the big box.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

terra8186

I am just wondering why you split all of the wood or do you buy it from somebody.  I have a central boiler and I cut my wood in 3'-4' pieces and I don't split them.  The larger stuff, I cut in liftable logs.

Hackberry

Terra, We cut and split our wood because it seasons faster, it's easy to work with for the wife and kids and the E-Classic's firebox is only 30" deep.  It's more work but it's worth it for us.  What unit are you burnning.  Hackberry

terra8186

<What unit are you burnning>

I am burning a central boiler 6048.  I have had it for 3 years. 

Your posts about your shop temperature's make me laugh.  When I started, I was heating my garage to 50, and I was heating my 2 shops to 50.  Since then I don't turn the heaters on unless I am out there.

My first year I ran out of wood in February.  That summer I cut enough wood for 2 years.  I have a 2 year supply for this year too.  Just in Case.

How do you like your boiler? 

Hackberry

Terra, I love this boiler thanks to the people on this forum that helped me  with the learning curve.  It's not even close to burning a 6048.  Lots of things to learn.  I have two buddies burning 6048's and they love them as well but burn more wood then I do.  I hope my reply will be the same after a few years.  Your 6048 is tried and true.  Hackberry

Hackberry

Week 5 Update

A warmer week 5.  322 degree days Vs 391 last week.  .65 of a cord burned.  I lowered the boiler to 180 vs 185.  I lost a fire brick in the reaction chamber last Sunday, it was laying on the floor under the ash.  I cleaned it up and used black rtv on it and stuck it back up.  As of this morning it's still holding.  Next week looks like it will be our coldest week yet.  Hackberry

Max sawdust

Hi,
Considering installing a boiler within the next year.  When you talk wood consumption in cords what do you mean ??? 
PULP (4'x4'x8' )
or
FACE (16"x4'x8')

.65 pulp cord in a day sounds like an awfull lot of wood :o
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Hackberry

Max Sawdust,

4'x4'x8' are the cords I'm burning.  .65 of a cord was for 7 days not one day.  Hope this helps you out.
Hackberry     

ronwood

Max sawdust,

From Hackberry post it appears to be .65 cord for one week.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Hackberry

Week Six Update:

Holy Cow, it was a very cold week here.  94 straight hours below 0.  4 mornings with lows of -29 to -32.  We did not have too much wind so that was a blessing.  470 Heating Degree Days this week.  The e-classic worked great and kept up with everything I asked it to do.  One cord of S. Elm burned this week.  I had to adjust my load times to every 11 hours instead of every 12-13.  I lowered the boiler temp. to 180 and the shop went to 58.

For comparison:  A friend of mine is burning a 6048 in a home that is one year old, he has about the same heating demand as I do with 3 less people taking showers.  I talked to him last night and he said that this week he was loading the 6048 2.5 times in 24 hours.  The 6048 holds 2.2 cubic yards of wood and the e-classic holds .97 cubic yards.  This tells me that he is burning more than twice the wood that I am.  Does this seem right?  'Til next week, Hackberry

DouginUtah

Hackberry,

I'm curious as to how you come up with the degree days you post. Is this your personal calculation or do you get it off a web site?  ???

If web, is it national so that I could also get the numbers for my area? Link?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

Doug
Google "degree days (your city)" and see if there are sites that provide degree days for you.

Get them here, and reports 74 degree days for yesterday, as an example.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/Madison.html

south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!