iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strange Request's

Started by scleigh, April 22, 2017, 01:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I know we all get crazy calls and text's asking for strange and sometimes impossible items, I just thought I'd share my latest.

The text read: Do you have any cedar without knots or splinters? That was it!!!!

Many things ran through my mind, but I felt it would be best not to respond.
Anyone else had any crazies lately?

Jeff

okay, I'm not sure what is so crazy about that request? I have an ERC hope chest here I made for Tammy many many years ago without one knot in it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

NWP

The no knots is an easy enough request but the no splinters may be tough.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

sandsawmill14

i would have told them yep plenty of it 1 x 4 x 12" long :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Darrel

Clear incense cedar and clear WRC are pretty easy to find, but if it is rough, there are plenty of splinters. Even planed, it has its share.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

sandsawmill14

around here less than 10% of the eastern red cedar would be clear (after its sawn) but i am sure its different in different areas :)  but sound knots are considered a characteristic instead of a defect as far as the official grade rules are concerned   :)

paul case

My response?

It is all clear between the knots.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scleigh

I get the knot part, but wood without splinters ::)

BigZ La

My answer would have been yes but it is very expensive  :laugh:

Ron Wenrich

I would have given him a pack of pencils.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

I cut a 175 year old ERC off my property about 15 years ago.  It was a 85' tall forest grown tree, and a good bit of the butt log was clear cedar. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

SineWave

Quote from: scleigh on April 22, 2017, 10:27:19 PM
I get the knot part, but wood without splinters ::)

That's like an ocean that ain't wet...  :D

redbeard

You could refer order too FF member  @giantsplinter 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Cedarman

If you can come up with 12 to 15' long clear ERC, even  narrow pieces as they cut it into thin strips, it can command the big bucks from the kayak and canoe builders.
Flute makers, fishing lure makers, fly rod handle makers  all want clear ERC.  Took one order of 1  3/4" x 1 3/4" x 13" and multiples to  fly rod fishing handle maker.  3000 of them.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don P

I did have the lady that wanted a log cabin with no knots... we went for a walk in the woods looking for trees with no branches  :)

goose63

I was at Home Depot to day and some lady called looking for premixed cement the guy told her you have to add water she still don't under stand
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

scleigh

I guess I learned  something from this, there could be a market for clear cedar. I never considered that as an aproach for marketing some of my clean boards, I do so much rustic stuff and it always sells.
Thanks for a different angle guys.
But no splinters :D

Cedarman

WDH

Chad,

I am going to have to pull out any clear ERC as well and try marketing it separately. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

Danny,
I guess . Moving forward, I will segregate the clear boards as well.
I already keep 3 pallets of cedar: slabs, rustic and clean.
Guess I'll add a 4th: clear with limited splinters :D

Darrel

I also could save my clear lumber from ERC's cousin, western juniper. I think I could have gotten a few clear boards from this, had I tried.

m
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Cedarman

A lot of times the outside of big ERC logs have a lot of clear, but mixed with streaks of ingrown bark.  We saw these at 2" and save the flitches.  Usually have 3 or 4000 ' on hand at any one time.  When orders come in, we saw 2x2 or 2x 1 3/4 or 2 1/8 depending on what is ordered.  Most want something in the 20" to 30" range for flutes and shorter for other stuff.  Sometimes up to 4'.  We air dry in shed to 11 to 12%.
The actual flitches are  usually low grade and not useful for wide long boards.  We also stockpile 1" x wide x long clear for some people.
When you get an e-mail titled ugly cedar wanted, you know you have hit the jackpot.  You never know what people want.

Thank You Sponsors!