iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any hockey fans? Pulled Pork for tonights home opener!

Started by sbishop, January 19, 2013, 05:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Have a bunch of hockey fans coming over tonight to watch the Toronto vs Montreal game. Butt is 11lbs and is going in the smoker here in a few minutes. i'm hoping it will be done by 6pm, then wrap in towel and let it sit in a cooler for 2hrs....eat at 8pm when the puck drops!

Spiced it up last night , wrap in plastic and into the fridge overnight.

Ready for the smoking this morning!

Go Habs Go!
Sbishop

sbishop

Throwing some TBS (Thin Blue Smoke) and a little steam... 8)

thecfarm

I have to head over to lowpolyjoe in NJ first,he has a new grill that needs some steaking done on it. Than I can be up at your place. Have to remember my passport. I'll bring the bread and cheese.   :D

What kind of wood are you using?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Ummm pulled pork, I just bought a couple of berkshire butts for the super bowl myself.

How'd it turn out?

sbishop

thecfarm, passport only required if you plan on going back home... ;)

You are more then welcome...actually if you leave now and drive an extra 20mph...you might make it!!!

i'm using "Uncle" wood.....wood i got from my uncle's saw mill....if could me maple, birch maybe oak...i got a whole bunch of chips and sawdust from him about a month ago...not sure!

Norm, going to stick the thermometer in it in 2hrs...that will be the 4hr mark....hopefully we are hitting 140+....going to wrap it around 165 then into the oven till 200.

Sbishop

thecfarm

sbishop,that will depend on what you feed me and how hard you work me.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sbishop

Well by the looks of me...the food is good  :)....and by the looks of me...the work is hard.... ::)

Norm

I miss read the time stamp and thought it was yesterday you were cooking it. Do you do anything like a sauce or top with cole slaw when it's time to eat?

sbishop

i do up a bbq sauce to put on the bun...and slaw too!!!

Mooseherder

I bet it'll fall apart when youze go to pullin'.
Tell us more about that smoker cooker? :)

sbishop

MH...Got the plans off some hunting forum i believe it was alberta...its a manualy smoker...i'm using a propane burner which has 3 burners in one..so i can control it pretty good..i haven't touched in 2 hrs and its 230degrees. its made of plywood and i use steel 3/8 rods.....for the past 3 years..it has gotten lots of use!!!!

last may a neighboor (3 streets over) had a house party and wanted me to smoke meat for him..we took the smoker to his house and did up 27 racks of baby backs....once they came out in went 12 - 6lbs chickens....talk about a feed!!!

Mooseherder

sbishop

its at 165 internal..so into tin foil we go until 200....i think it's on time for 5:30pm...then 2hrs wrap in a towel in a cooler!

PS. not sure what happened to the bark... :D

sbishop

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

beenthere

Hope you were pulling for Toronto to win. And the treats were good too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sbishop

food turned out great, hockey and head not so great.....  :D

millwright

How do you keep the bears from destroying your smoker?

sbishop

Millwright...i don't... >:(

Take a look at the bottom door...you will notice there is 2 pieces of plywood ripped off and the air vent to the left is bent almost in half....the back side has some teeth marks....

i've never smoked a bear yet....but it might happen! ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

That is one neat looking smoker. Did you build it?

I'd like to build a knock down version that I can use at our cabin. If we left one like that out the bears would tear it apart.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sbishop

yes, built it myself out of plywood...got the plans of the some hunting forum in Alberta i think.

Pic of first smoke...it's not that clean inside anymore..HA

Mooseherder

Building one from some nice thick oak slabs might be a great project. :)
You can buy a burner from a grilling store for the heat element and sit it on a piece of sheet metal. 

Weekend_Sawyer

You could set a small woodstove behind it and plumb the pipe into it  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Mooseherder

I happen to have a small wood stove that could be used for that at camp but I'd have to bring the Oak.

Thank You Sponsors!