iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bug infested stickers?

Started by Satamax, June 20, 2018, 10:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

I have flitches from a job, that i am cutting into stickers. 

Like this. 

Is this real bad? Or it doesn't mater much? 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Lawg Dawg

I would probably not use those
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Dad2FourWI

Those look like sawyer beetles.... I think my gallery my have some pics of adult sawyer beetles.... ugly buggers!!!!

From what I know, once the beetles emerge from the wood there is no more draw to the dry lumber... they were originally after the nice sappy cambium layer... that is now long gone. So they would be fine to use but we tend to give stickers to our customers.... and they balk at bug holes, so we tend to find other uses for the "bug boards"...

As a friend of our says regarding the "bug boards".... call them "rustic lumber" and upcharge them an additional 10% !  :D :D :D
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys. 

Well, i have cut a few stickers with bug holes. And chucked that in the pile. I'm by no means a sawyer. I have a mill mostly for myself. So it doesn't mater much. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

wolf nemeth

You  have several different species of  insects, judging  from  your photo. The  one that  would stick around  even in dry wood  made those little tiny round holes in your next-to-the-top sticker.  Here they are  known as powder post  beetles, and will happily munch  their way through  your entire stack of  lumber, wet  or dry.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

YellowHammer

Unless you can sterilize them, I wouldn't use bug hole wood for stickers.  I've had bugs in sticker wood I didn't detect until I pulled the packs of wood apart and found neat little new holes where the critters emerged from the stickers into my lumber.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

The nice lady said, "I have some fire killed pine that is full of worms, I'd like to make paneling out of it."  So I agreed to cut it for her. It was pretty dry already as it had been dead for a while so when I stacked it I just used edgings for stickers and I thought everything was good, but that night she was reading online how you shouldn't use wormy stickers because the worms could infest your wood. No amount of client education would convince that in this case worms were worms and that all worms would be dead when the wood was dry. So I restickered it all with my own good dry stickers asking her to return them when finished with them. I never saw my stickers again. But at least she didn't badmouth me and she did recommend my services to a friend. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

teakwood

That is what i was thinking: if you put them in a dry oven all the bugs gets killed!?? 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Satamax

Quote from: teakwood on June 24, 2018, 09:04:49 AM
That is what i was thinking: if you put them in a dry oven all the bugs gets killed!??
Or dip in fuel!  ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Satamax

You mean yakisugi? Or burning these? 

Burning defeats the point of making stickers.  

Crusarius

I put a pile of cookies into a vacuum chamber at 30,000 feet for 8 hours :) seemed to work well to kill the bugs.

DPatton

Quote from: Crusarius on June 24, 2018, 11:54:10 AM
I put a pile of cookies into a vacuum chamber at 30,000 feet for 8 hours :) seemed to work well to kill the bugs.
How much jet fuel did it take to keep the plane in the air for 8 hrs? ;D ;D 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Crusarius

Hmmm maybe I should reword that :)

how's equivalent to 30,000 feet altitude :)

The answer is 0 I did not use any jet fuel. But the inside of the chamber was quite moist. Now I want to start doing research on vacuum drying lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!