iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blue stain yellow pine for board and batton

Started by Raym, August 08, 2018, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Is there any reason not to use this for board and batton siding on my shop build? The walls are traditionally framed (stick framed with plywood sheathing and tyvek).

I have plenty sawn (only need to sterilize) and if so, I was going to resaw into 1/2" boards.

My other option is to use white oak but it is not sawn yet

Thanks in advance
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Lawg Dawg

I'd use it, no problem...you could also sho-sugi-bon it

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

bags

The only reason not to use it would be if you don't like the color.lol. Blue stain is a fungus, and sets as soon as the board dries. The boards structure is the same as any other lumber.

firefighter ontheside

Use away.  It will probably all turn grey anyway.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dave Shepard

Blue stain means sapwood. Sapwood is not very durable exposed to the weather. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: Raym on August 08, 2018, 04:48:07 PMMy other option is to use white oak but it is not sawn yet
This would be my option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raym

Quote from: Magicman on August 09, 2018, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: Raym on August 08, 2018, 04:48:07 PMMy other option is to use white oak but it is not sawn yet
This would be my option.
I think this is the route I will take. Since its just siding, I don't see any reason to saw any more than 1/2" thick though. Or do I 
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

ljmathias

I saw my live edge pine lap siding at 3/4" and don't plane. Planing would help a lot- better finish and less uptake of stain/sealant plus make the water run off better. With pine too thin, cupping is a problem for me but then I put mine up without drying- let nature do that for me.

Keep us posted on how the oak works- inquiring minds and all.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

samandothers

I did not sterilize my pine board siding.  I coat the outside with an oil based protection from weather.

@Lawg Dawg did you burn both/ all 4 sides?

smcclure

I used blue stain boards as siding on my shop and just spray a little water sealer every few years.  Been up for about 9 years and still hard and not showing any signs or rot.  I also left mine 1" thick.
Scott

Beavertooth

If you saw your white oak 1/2" you will probably have a bunch of boards that will cup and split all to pieces. The first lumber I sawed up for a guy when I got my first mill in 2005 was a bunch of oak of several different species and he wanted it sawed 1/2" so I told him I would saw it however he wanted it since I did not know any better at the time. So that is what we sawed it and every bit of it split all to pieces when it dried. Good for nothing but a bond fire.  Live and learn.  :-\ :-\
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: samandothers on August 16, 2018, 11:02:50 AM
I did not sterilize my pine board siding.  I coat the outside with an oil based protection from weather.

@Lawg Dawg did you burn both/ all 4 sides?
I burned 3 sides on purpose...but all that flame from the 500,000 btu torch head will scorch the back too
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!