iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underwater Logging- Species of Wood & Costs per BF in Michigan

Started by Toddvg, April 22, 2012, 10:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddvg

Question to whoever can Help!

Been looking into the whole underwater logging Business and checking out the Economics of it and thought this looks to be the best site for the best info.

#1 - What Species of Wood can one find in the Great Lakes or the many Lakes and Rivers of Michigan?

#2 - What kind of Price are each of those Species Fetching per BF?

I understand that there are costs associated with Milling and what not, but I am looking for Price for a LOG right out of the water. Now I do understand that there is Gross BF and Net BF, and that all Logs are not the same. But that all said if I have a Cedar Log 24" Dia x 32' long = 430 BF ?? so the Coast for this Cedar would be ??

Dave VH

I know that this is an older thread, but that article on northern wisconsin was great, I really enjoyed the history in it.

Underwater logging is something that I'm very interested in.

I have a constuction business, I also have a marine business that we do a lot of docks and piers, mostly commercially.  I ofcourse have a small bandmill that i just love to play with.  and I'm a certified diver, along with better than half of the rest of my crew.

with all of that, I think that underwater log recovery would be a great field to get into for me.
It seems a bit difficult here in Michigan to get licensed to do so. 
If anyone out there has anymore info on how to legally do it here in Michigan, I'm all ears.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Gary_C

Here is the latest article I can find about this business and it is some 12 years old.   Water Logged
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Clam77

Underwater logging??  Or underwater log RECOVERY??  There's a huge difference...
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Clark

I've yet to hear of an underwater log recovery business that has stayed in business for an appreciable amount of time.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Dave VH

log recovery is more what I'm talking about. (I think, to be honest I couldn't define the difference) 
I'm not looking to change my company around into doing that exclusively.  I believe that I have the right tools, and man power to do it right now and I was looking into it as an add on to what I already do.  It just sounds like fun to see what our great grandfathers left behind.
  Forget the financial end of it, we have the capabilities I think and we just want to do it for fun.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!