iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Scale Cedar Logging Job/Advice Needed

Started by 123maxbars, August 12, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I run a WMLT35 and sale alot of ERC. I was able to aquire about 30 acres of good cedar trees this weekend. The trees average 10 to 13in diam, which are perfect sawlogs for my mill. I got these trees at no cost, the land owner told me I could just log them as I need them. These trees are very easy to get to with no major obstructions in the way. There is an old logging road that starts at the main road that goes directly where the cedars are located (this poperty is around 100 acres). It is on level ground and besides for the overgrowth on the road, very easy to get to. This road however is very narrow and would be impossible to drive my pick up on, The tools I have are a Kubota B3200 4x4 with FEL and a Log Rite ATV arch.  My main goal is just get the tree on the ground, cut to size then brought back to the road where me and my brother will man handle them and load them on my utility trailer. My questions starts here: I have been in the market for a few months looking at either an ATV or UTV. I figured with this being a good level road that either would do great at pulling the log arch out of the woods to my landing, and would be alot faster than my Kubota. But I have alot of uses for an ATV/UTV other than just using on this ongoing job so I figured now would be a good time to get one.

I have narrowed choices down to a Honda RUbicon 4x4 with 490cc engine and a Kubota RTV with a 16HP gas engine 4x4, I feel like both would do a good job at hauling the atv arch out of the woods, expecially since the cedar logs are light cut at 8ft lengths.

My other uses will be some small scale logging such as this with some pine and poplar trees at three diffrent locations.

Main question is out of the two machines which would be the better choice to buy? I hope someone on here has tried both on small scale logging and can give me thier thoughts. THis machine will never be used to yard huge timber, just some small jobs I have aquired on the side and will be used on my farm doing some light work. Any advice appreciated. I did a search on here but couldnt find any good data on comparing these two types of machines. I plan on making the purchase this week.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Cedarman

Is there any way to make the road wide enough to get the pickup through?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

123maxbars

Cedarman, No the road is too narrow with several spots going between some huge boulders.  and relocating the road is something the land owner is not wanting to do, 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Ianab

From my experience the 4WD machines like the Kubota are better at towing, and have better load carrying capacity themselves.
We switched from a Kawasaki quad bike to a Mule (same general idea as that Kubota) for transport around the farm. Seats 2 in comfort, has a decent tray for tools, has roll over protection and can tow more.

With a log arch I'd think it would make a good low impact logging machine for smaller logs and tight spaces like that.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

g_man

If it were me I would strongly consider getting a small winch for my tractor. And for less money than a wheeler. No driving thru slash and over stumps. No jigging an arch around in the woods and pull out two to four trees at once. I have done it both ways. Now I just use the wheeler to get around and the arch just sits there.
I also have a little grapple on my bucket to make it easy to load logs. Throw that in and it is still less money than the wheeler.
But I admit wheelers are nice to have around.

JDeere

Quote from: g_man on August 12, 2012, 08:17:27 PM
If it were me I would strongly consider getting a small winch for my tractor. And for less money than a wheeler. No driving thru slash and over stumps. No jigging an arch around in the woods and pull out two to four trees at once. I have done it both ways. Now I just use the wheeler to get around and the arch just sits there.
I also have a little grapple on my bucket to make it easy to load logs. Throw that in and it is still less money than the wheeler.
But I admit wheelers are nice to have around.

I agree.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

123maxbars

I appreciate the input and with all do respect as my post stated I am looking for input on the diffrenct between doing small scale logging with either an ATV or UTV/which maching would do a better job pulling log arch with small cedar logs.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

beenthere

I think either would "do the log moving" job about as well as the other.

I'd add that the brakes on the ATV and/or the UTV will need to be good enough to stop the log on an arch. So land steepness should be considered, or brakes on the arch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

I personally like the machines that have the independant rear suspension and auto tranny.
Too many irons in the fire

LOGDOG

I thought about Kevin's winter logging jobs when I read this thread. If you haven't seen his threads try to pull them up. I always enjoy them. I think Kevin was using an ARGO last time though.

g_man

Quote from: 123maxbars on August 12, 2012, 11:01:26 PM
I appreciate the input and with all do respect as my post stated I am looking for input on the diffrenct between doing small scale logging with either an ATV or UTV/which maching would do a better job pulling log arch with small cedar logs.

Sorry. I appologize for adding my .02 which were not a direct answer to your post, although related to your job at hand.  Hopefully someone else will find something to think about in it so it isn't wasted.

123maxbars

I pulled the trigger today. I ordered a Honda Foreman Rubicon, it is four wheel drive and independent rear and front suspension/500cc with a drive shaft going to both the rear and front end. The tow rating is around 1k, the service guy at Honda told me it would pull a whole lot more than that, also got a warren 3k winch mounted on the front.

This will be mainly used for logging cedars and other small trees, I was also looking at the Kubota RTV, I test drove it today, it had alot of power but just felt like I was driving a golf cart.

Anyways I hope to be cutting the cedars by the weekend, I will start a thread on my first logging/very small scall/job.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

grassfed

I gotta say that I completely agree with g_man...ATVs are not a good choice for skidding wood. Several guys ,near me, have started small jobs with ATVs  and they all switched to small tractors before the job was done. They are great for carrying tools to projects around the farm but they are just are not built for heavy work so they wear out fast and cost more to maintain than many tractors.
Mike

shelbycharger400

hands down, small scale..  skid loader with grapple bucket. grapple on a rock bucket, with tines out 2 to 3 ft.  farmer that was helping us had one.  hook'd up right, it would grab 3 or 4 logs at once.

SwampDonkey

ATV might be fine if it wasn't a money making thing. I know some folks, and as others have mentioned, it didn't work out as planned with an ATV when money had to be made.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

You'll wear out the auto tranny pretty fast on an automatic, the torque converter belt starts slipping then it will hardly pull itself, unless you have some kind of locking TC.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

acl2

i would be very leery of trying to do any skidding with something that is not equipped with some type of ROPS, even on level ground a narrow machine can be tipped easily. I wish you the best of luck with your 4 wheeler, im sure if you take your time you will be able to do what your trying to accomplish just remember safety.   

shinnlinger

I wonder where the service guy will be if you break that quad.  I will also recommend using the tractor.  Not what you wanted to hear. but tractors are built far better for that kind of abuse
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!