iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill question from newbie

Started by ldman, June 01, 2009, 09:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldman

Hi Folks,
   I have read many posts here in my quest to find the right sawmill for me.
I plan on being stationary under a roof. I have my own land and timber and plan on cutting for myself, yet I would entertain the idea of cutting for others if time permitted.
I have looked at several mills and have narrowed my search to a few. The Lt15, Norwoods 2000 and Timberkings 1220. Also looked at the Cooks mp32.

I've been lurking here for a few months now. Lots of good info. I am giving myself headaches over what saw to buy.  The norwood throws the sawdust away from the saywer, the L15 does not, what about the Timberking 1220?  Why would they all not throw it away from the operator?..... I would rather not walk through the dust. But I hate that that would be my deciding decision.   Also, it seems to me that on these smaller mills, pushing the head through a cut would give one a better feel than a hand crank would?  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

David
Work hard, help others, love God and your family

woodmills1

try to find a used hydraulic woodmizer for a few bucks more.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brad_S.

Welcome to The Forestry Forum! 8)
It is indeed an agonizing decision, but I can state with confidence that you would not regret buying any of the three mills you listed. All three are excellent mills. For my decision, dealer location played a huge role in the mill I chose. While you can get parts express mailed and tech support via telephone where ever you are, having a dealer nearby really helps. Just my 2ยข.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sawmilllawyer

I like the three or four you picked out, pretty much been the result of my research too. If you have the bucks, I hear hydraulics are the way to go. A simple mill willl work for me, hobby not a living.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

woodmills1

back 93 94 I was you ...................just buy a simple manual do the work mill.  I got a used hydraulic in 95.   would never have gone beyond hobby with what I was considering then.

Ifin ya has a machine to do log loading then ok manual, but ifin ys doesen't get a loader hydraulic mill and see ya soon yua bein cuttin da loga.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ldman

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on June 01, 2009, 09:41:10 PM
I like the three or four you picked out, pretty much been the result of my research too. If you have the bucks, I hear hydraulics are the way to go. A simple mill willl work for me, hobby not a living.

Yep hydraulics would be great. As you say, This is just going to be a hobby. If it became more then that, well, that might be ok to. I want to pay cash. The mills I am looking at are within my budget.

ldman

Quote from: woodmills1 on June 01, 2009, 09:46:58 PM
back 93 94 I was you ...................just buy a simple manual do the work mill.  I got a used hydraulic in 95.   would never have gone beyond hobby with what I was considering then.

Ifin ya has a machine to do log loading then ok manual, but ifin ys doesen't get a loader hydraulic mill and see ya soon yua bein cuttin da loga.

Mees gots sombody to load da logs... only she be sayin dis all me idea and she's ouyta here ;)
Guess I'll hafta use da tracta

woodmills1

gouda ting loadin da loga but dona letta the sig other go so quicka

zopi

hobby or no...if you can swing it, get hydraulics...or a forklift or some such...running the mill is easy, moving the logs is not...I am an lt15 owner...love my mill, but would trade that sucker for a 40 hyd. in a hummingbirds heartbeat, had I the cash...the first time you have to load and turn a 3500 lb piece of pine by yourself, you'll see why.

that is the ONLY problem I have with my LT-15...I certainly recommend the WM, but have no experience with the others..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thecfarm

Walking throgh sawdust is no big deal.I do it with mine. I'm like you are,I do not move mine,no wheels to move it.If the sawdust came out the side that I load my loads on,it would make it alot harder to remove the sawdust.I bought in fill for mine,so mine log brough is level with my mill.I would have to shovel it all out by hand,because of the log brough and it drops off on both sides.The way it is now it's all level on the side I walk on.Just bring in the tractor and scoop it up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

David,don't know how old you are but your back is worth the hydraulics.All the advice given is straight scoop,nows the time to look for a good used mill with support equip.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

Quote from: ldman on June 01, 2009, 09:27:12 PM
 Why would they all not throw it away from the operator?..... I would rather not walk through the dust.
Throwing the sawdust to the operator's side allows turning the log only 90 degrees to present a clean surface for the blade to enter. Throwing it to the loading requires a 270 degree turn. Most people won't do that and live with cutting thru bark again which is likely to harbor debris requiring more frequent sharpenings. This may be significant if you are into production which you won't be with a manual mill.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Papa1stuff

David,I don't know where you are in Miss ,but there is WM dealer in Perkinson ,MS
601-928-3022
His name is Timmy and is a great guy to deal with.
Give him a call!
I purchsed my Lt40SH from him!
Dave M
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Bro. Noble

I think the best thing you could do is visit as many operations as you can before you decide what to buy.  About any forum member would be happy for you to visit them and show you what they use and how they do things.  You'll pick up a lot of ideas no matter what you buy.  If it were me,  I'd consider buying a used hyd. mill.and not worry so much about who made it as long as it was one of our sponsers-----they all make good machines. You should be able to get a real deal now.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SamB

Idman your scenario sounds very familiar to mine when I decided to pull the trigger on buying a sawmill. All I can tell you is that I haven't regretted my choice, it was within my budget, does what it was advertised to do, manufactures support has been fair and prompt and if I don't use it for a month I don't feel like I'm loosing money on my investment. As far as the cranking versus pushing, you can still lean on the mill the crank is more a speed control you can feel what the saw is doing. As suggested get owners names from the manufactures and talk to the owners, most of us are happy to give opinions and or demonstrations.

ldman

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Been thinking, and taking what some of u have said into consideration. Being that I might would be interested in sawmilling as more than just a hobby someday, and the fact that my back hasn't been the same since a near death motorcycle accident, I am going to keep an eye out for a used mill with hydraulics. As I keep looking I will keep saving $. By  next year I could have a new one. For now, Ill keep cutting any stacking the logs from my dead trees and the ones the beatles have gotten.

Thanks
David

ldman

Btw , if any of you guys are within a reasonable driving distance from Houston ms , I would love to see a saw in action. I have only seen videos of them.

Thanks
David.

ldman

Quote from: zopi on June 01, 2009, 11:15:50 PM
hobby or no...if you can swing it, get hydraulics...or a forklift or some such...running the mill is easy, moving the logs is not...I am an lt15 owner...love my mill, but would trade that sucker for a 40 hyd. in a hummingbirds heartbeat, had I the cash...the first time you have to load and turn a 3500 lb piece of pine by yourself, you'll see why.

that is the ONLY problem I have with my LT-15...I certainly recommend the WM, but have no experience with the others..

Is it the log loading, or the log turning that you guys find so physical? I don't see where loading the logs should be a problem with the right stationary set-up.  It's the log turning that I am concerned with.

Is paying $10g's more for a saw just to have log turning capabilities worth it?    Serious question guys!

David

medic

Idman
   I have a TK 1220, it does throw out the sawdust on the operator side.  I would go one step further than what these guys are suggesting and look at several mills from each manufacturer that you are interested in.  When I was looking, the LT15 that I looked at first didn't impress me a lot, the 1220 did.  While I like my 1220, after I got it I ran across another LT15 that had been set up well and properly maintained and it was a whole different animal than the first one I looked at.  The WM would have figured a lot higher in my final decision had I seen a well maintained mill before I made my purchase decision. 
   I do fully support staying in your budget but do go for all the power and hydraulics that you can stand.  You may not think there is much difference after an hour of sawing but after 2 or 3 back to back 8 hour days of sawing both your body and your production rate can tell the difference. 
   Other than that, welcome to the sawdust therapy session.
Enjoy
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

cheyenne

Idman......Have you thought about a twin blade circular mill. No need to turn logs & loading can be done with a ramp & winch or any number of machines......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

woodmills1

If you have a tractor to load with and you build a deck fine.

I started with no support except a one ton truck that would help line up the logs, and a log trucker who would put the biggest bone on top to see ifin I would kill myself.

Banjo picker

Quote from: ldman on June 02, 2009, 02:49:52 PM
Btw , if any of you guys are within a reasonable driving distance from Houston ms , I would love to see a saw in action. I have only seen videos of them.

Thanks
David.

David , I am in Iuka  not too far from you.  We run a hydralic Cooks AC 36 with a Perkins diesel you are welcome to come see it run most anytime.  We are set up to cut ties and cants.  I know there are Woodmizers between here and there, maybe they will chime in and you could get a road trip planned.   8)  You are welcome to come see our mill.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

park ranger

I have a hand crank WM lt25 and along with my tractor with a set of forks I seem to do ok.  I load the log then have the forks set to shift the slab wood on to take it to the burn pile.  The cranking isn't hard and most of the logs flip in a jiffy with the cant hook.  I am more or less a hobby sawyer but I have made some money on it.  I just milled the siding and a lot of the wood for my new house ( the building inspector said it was just fine). 

kelLOGg

Is it the log loading, or the log turning that you guys find so physical? I don't see where loading the logs should be a problem with the right stationary set-up.  It's the log turning that I am concerned with.

[/quote]
I load and turn via a cable winch. Loading is easy up to the capacity of the winch. Turning requires more operator effort because there more of it and the cant does not always end up exactly where you want it requiring pushing and pulling to get it there. A fast log clamp is the next mod I would like to make on my mill.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tcsmpsi

Quote from: ldman on June 02, 2009, 02:49:52 PM

Thanks
David.

What do  you consider "reasonable driving distance"?   ;D

I have a 'mill not previously mentioned', which has worked very well for me, my particula applications and as an overall well-built unit.

I had (which I 'm sure most others have as well) some of the same concerns as yours.

Mine is a manual mill, and does have the off-side sawdust expulsion, which I find gratifying.  As I debark, wash or both before putting logs on the mill, I'm not concerned in that manner as to where my blade cuts.  It works proper for me to have the sawdust where it goes as I can spread it around with the tractor without any notable trouble.

Indeed, the loading and turning of the log/cant on the mill is the most challenging aspect of a manual mill.  As such, I am not too interested in 'big logs', though I do occassionaly run upon one thatI will take the trouble with.

I've been fortunate to be able to get my mill and related equipment set up as I find effecient for my use, so that presently, time seems to be my primary constraint.   :D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!